Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 11:42:42 AM EDT
I just read a post about the AWB and thought I would share this.  In the Wednesday May 14th issue of the Houston Chronicle there was a story on page 6A that said "DeLay plans to let gun ban die".  The story quoted Tom DeLay's spokesman as saying "We have no intention of bringing it(the AWB)up to a vote" and "Most House members are willing to let the ban die".  Another GOP House leadership aide was quoted to say "Congress will renew the ban only if Bush publicly and firmly insists".  The article also said that the White House does not want the AWB to come back up for a vote, although it didn't say who at the White House made this statement.  I really wish I had a link to this article, hopefully another member here will look it up and post it.  This article certainly does not mean that the AWB is over and done with, but this is the most encouraging news I've seen in along time.  The article also went on to say that alot of the Democrates don't want to see this issue come up, especially the ones from the Southern and most Western states.  Now is the time to write your represenatives about this issue and join the NRA if your not allready a member.  Just in case you don't know, Tom DeLay Rep_Sugerland is the House Majority Leader so he gets to decide what is and what ain't going to be voted on in the House.  I will keep my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Very, very sweet there Rot.  I wish Someone could find a link to the article.  I went to the Houston Chronicles' web site, but I can't figure out how to find previous issues.  It seems like they want you to pay, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe most Republicans and more than a few Dimocrats want the AWB to never come up for any vote.  There's just so little political capital to be gained by pandering to the fringe groups on the left and so much to be lost by alienating the right.  I agree that it will take the President pushing a reluctant congress for this bill to ever come to a vote.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You know It's not beyond the realm of possibility that Bush would actually insist. I know a lot of you are all "Rupublicans = good, Democrats = Bad" but I think that a politician is a politician, and you know how it goes when it comes to courting approval.  Also, to be fair, it's really only the "fringe" of both the left and the right that are concerned with the ban, as "assault weapons" enthusiasts are only a small part of the gun owning population, statistically speaking. Of course these are just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]

"assault weapons" enthusiasts are only a small part of the gun owning population, statistically speaking.

People who vote against assault weapons make up a far smaller part of the population than those who voter for them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I know it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Bush would push the issue to a vote, the story reinterated the fact that Bush has stated in the past that he is for the ban.  What the story did say is that the White House would rather not see the issue come to vote.  The article was vauge on who said this at the White House.  I just hope Tom DeLay doesn't change his mind in the next 16 months.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#7]
"I like Bush"  OK all jokes aside.

Honestly I have really supported our President, but he has taken a turn to the left since the end of the Iraq war which really concerns me.  I believe that he thinks that he needs to lean to the left after the Iraq war to be elected.

This should scare the hell out of all of us because I think this will be an issue that the Demopukes will use against us.  Bush is caving in and I hope we can all convince him to change his mind.

This is not about the "so called assault weapons ban, but the loss of our 2nd ammendment rights.

Look at what happened to Austrailia!

Politics, politics, politics!

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Regan and Bush Sr. were a big part of the mess we are in today, so don't count on Bush or the Republicans. CNN has been hammering on the ban drum this week.  It might be the kind of "non-issue" that could be seen as useful to camouflage the fact the economy sucks and the government spends way too much money. If you can't deal with the real problems, make a stink about something else, then "fix" it. Bush could get a lot of pluses with the left by doing just this, then tossing the right some other kind of bone, that is a non-issue with the left, to get the votes back. There is no way to know what kind of stupid political tricks will happen before the next election. Remember most Republicans are "country club" types. Kind of reminds me of the Hell's Angles supporting the Vietnam war in the '60s, backing a government bent on wiping them off the map. Looks the same to me.
 Then there's after the ban.  Who's to say the BATFE won't come up with new restrictions to put us back to square one.   Never forget the "non-sporting" angle. They could redefine sporting, and make it all illegal without a single vote. The unelected officials can wipe us out just as fast as the Politicians.... Remember, about 80% of the laws on the books never went to a vote.  They were regulations put on the books by OSHA, FCC, ICC, and the other departments.  They have the force of law and were never voted on. Ever. There are about 17,000 new regulations per year, on average. You think they go before the congress and senate? NOT.
 I don't see a bright future with the return of the freedom we used to enjoy. Think about it.  My father used to ride the trolly out to the Mississippi river in Alton Illinois.  He and his buddies used to spend the afternoon shooting logs floating down the river. They carried their .22 rifles on the trolly in plain sight.  They were 15 years old.  What does the weapons ban mean to him?  His perspective?  We've lost $1000 and we're arguing about a penny.  He's 78 years old.  We live in a different world now. It will not accept freedom as it was so long ago. Government cannot give us anything.  It can only take. Once it takes, it never gives back. You can count on that. History will back me on this one.
  However, there is a bright spot.  Chopper Motorcycles were perceived as a "menace" to society at one time, and many laws went on the books designed to prevent people building them, handlebar over seat heights, front fender laws and such.  Many of those laws are ignored now. Today choppers are considered glamorous, all the big shots have 'em. If we're lucky, we'll just drop off the "screen". That would be the best I can see for us. Guns, after all, are just a small part of freedom.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks MAK.  My brother told me about this article that came out in the next day's paper.  Still, I see these reports as promising.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, it appears that Mr. Bush is gearing up to sell us out.  I'm not sure what is motivating this behavior, but I believe it comes down to Washington politics.  Bush has decided that guns are less important that tax cuts for the wealthy and his social agenda.  Hence guns will be sacrificed in the name of "compromise."

What Bush doesn't understand is that many of us, including myself, do not consider the Second Amendment an issue that be swapped and traded.  Unless his current agenda alters radically in the next 12 months, I will be voting Libertarian in the next election.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm with you SoutherShark.  The Republicans have the White House and a majority in the House and Senate.  I believe the reason they enjoy this majority is due in large part to gun owners getting out and voting.  This is their chance to deliver the goods back to us.  If the AWB is renewed, then my vote will go Libertarian next election.  In the meantime I will write to my elected officals.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top