Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 10:20:00 PM EDT
I have no stake in SW, never owned one, but I might get the one he is talking about making in 7.62x39, and it will use AK mags. I have an HK sear, it would be nice to have an AK caliber auto, the ammo and mags are cheap. He will call it the SW52, sort of like Vector Arm's V-53 but with an AK mag. A longer barrel version called the SW32 will also be made, in smaller numbers. Here is his rendition of the SW52:
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The HK-32 was an actual model that HK built.  It was 7.62x39 and didn't use AK mags.  It used the same roller action that the rest of their stuff uses.  

Obviously it only makes sense to use AK mags if you're going to build something that caliber nowdays.  

HK couldn't sell it, so they dropped the model.  

Ross

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Considering the money and effort put into ARs in that caliber, mag headaches and occasional busted bolts, it could catch on. Just don't rush it to market. Bob wants to see this one get off the big bus..
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Part of me wants to give this a try at $650... but then again, why not just go with a tried and true AK design?  It would be unique, but nowhere near as easy to work on and I'm guessing nowhere near as reliable...  But shucks, it sures has a certain geewhiz factor to it!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have an SW5 that runs like a Singer sewing machine. It feeds on factory, straight, and pof mags.

Toad can be an ass to deal with(he has always treated me fair), but you have to admit atleast he is bringing a product to the firearms community.

I'm curious, was this the newer stamped version or the older version? And details on how you got it to actually work??
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Part of me wants to give this a try at $650... but then again, why not just go with a tried and true AK design? It would be unique, but nowhere near as easy to work on and I'm guessing nowhere near as reliable... But shucks, it sures has a certain geewhiz factor to it!

I have 2 postban AKs (FEG SA85M and Bulgarian SLR95mb) which just sit there, never shoot them as they are semi auto. I would like to shoot some AK ammo in full auto, this would let me do that if it works with my registered HK sear.  The only reason I would buy this gun.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Dude, you need to share your source for $900 preban ARs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Dude, just because you buy one preban for $700 does not the market make...  It is the exception, not the rule.

Years ago my now roommate decided he wanted to build a custom AR target rifle...  He got the first Hart produced fluted 24 inch bull barrel and a whole lot of either bells and whistles including one of the first Jewel triggers on the market... Anyway, I had hooked him up when he first moved here and was short on rent - he did eventually pay it all, I just floated him.

To make a long story short he handed me his preban CAR-15 and said I could have it in trade for a stripped postban lower and $400 toward parts.  I promptly handed him an $80 stripped Olympic lower and a check for $400 and it was mine.

So, $485 and I got a preban CAR-15... doesnt't mean that is the market for them however.  I could walk through any gun show in NY and command at least $1,000 for it, maybe as hight as $1,200-$1,300 when you look at what dealers are selling their illegally configured post-ban "prebans" for.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
65 cents a round?????

Now guys, I'm guessing what we are talking about is the purchasing power of a dollar regionally.  You won't find preban ARs in these parts for $900, espcially not Colt!

Then again, for what you would pay in rent in NYC for a two bedroom apartment in midtown might be more than you pay on your mortgage in six months back in TN of OH...  No shit, I have friends paying around $6,000 a month in Manhattan for a nice two bedroom.  So I guess it is all relative.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#21]
SteyrAUG
Well, if you post a real nice gun and you have good references I might!  

I have put some dough down for a Shrike upper, realizing that it might not ever materialize.  However, it is a bet I am willing to take a little risk on.  I have bought MGs on the internet from folks I do not know much about and had a lot more money on the line than this, as have most folks who have MGs.  

As far as the SW52 is concerned, I have not decided to buy it for sure, nor have I put any money down because there is no offer to sell yet.  Once he has it made, and it seems to work, I might get one.  I think there will be plenty of time to get one and plenty of guns if I wait.  I could have waited on the Shrike, but there is something I have a good feeling is going to work well, so far.  Plus if I waited I would only have to pay more if and when it comes out.  

Life is full of risk, and most times we win, sometimes we lose.  

SW might have a bit of an attitude problem, but he has delivered in the past and there are a lot of people who have his guns who like them.  I realize that there are also some who have guns which don't work.  Seems like his recent guns are working better.  Again, it might be a gamble, but for $650 I can't see much downside.  

Doesn't anyone else think an HK clone which uses 8 cents a shot AK ammo and $10 AK mags which can take a registered sear for full auto blasting is a neat idea?  Plus consider blasting with HK AK caliber clone of $650 cost vs. my $3200 HK SP89 or $4500 MP5SD SBR.  Hmmmm.  No brainer for me.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I think there is a contest between Special Ed Weapons and American Spirit Arms to see who can make the biggest piece of crap. I think ASA is winning the contest on sh!ttiest customer service due to the 300 pound fat owner Bob Reisner but Toad could make a comeback.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#25]
That's odd.  For the last 3-4 months Todd has been claiming, quite loudly, that he has so many "military contracts" that he is getting out of the civilian market completely.

His "Asian country" military contract for SW5's seems to be pretty fruitful.

I would ask him if this is a civilian gun or a military/police gun.  If it's a civilian gun, ask him if this means he's changed his mind (yet again) and is staying in the civilian market.

This guy can't figure out if he's coming or going.  

Tim
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I've gotta wonder how these asian militaries are gonna react...

Maybe Toad should change his name to say...Frog??!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#27]
FAC
What I read on Todd's site is that he had bought 3000 G3 parts sets, and used some of the parts, so he has these parts sitting there and he needs to get rid of them. This is his way of using them up. He is making a small number of SW3s, the HK91 clone. With the rest he will make these SW52s and SW32s. He has to make a custom trunion and obtain barrels. I don't know which receiver he will be using: seems that it would have to be a modified SW53 receiver or the new US finished FMP receivers. This is speculation on my part. Other than that I do believe he is getting out of the civilian market.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey SteyrAUG:
I like that gun, umm, thing! When is it coming out? Is there a waiting list yet? It takes a registered sear, yes? Eagerly awaiting news, I remain:
faldoc
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#30]
SteyrAug, that is the most hideous damn rifle I have ever seen in my life. Goatboy should ban you again.

themao
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think there is a contest between Special Ed Weapons and American Spirit Arms to see who can make the biggest piece of crap. I think ASA is winning the contest on sh!ttiest customer service due to the 300 pound fat owner Bob Reisner but Toad could make a comeback.

What about Hesse?

My lord, just pick up one of their Saiga conversions. I think Izmash should hire the Russian mob as a vendetta against such crap. Joseph Stalin would have invaded America had he seen such garbage work done to the AK-47.

themao
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top