Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2002 6:45:31 AM EDT
I have just picked up a slug barrel for my Mssburg 500. I'm getting back into deer hunting for next year after a long break.

The barrel has a scope mount made right into it with no option for sights.  I have a BSA red dot, but don't expect it to hold up under the weight of Breneke slugs.

Any suggestions on a Russian scope that would be of a similar type that I could use.  For the price I prefer the Russian optics, but don't know what will hold up to a slug barrel.

Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Kobra with weaver rail. Same as the side rail mount model, just weaver base. Good enough for FA AKs, probably good enough for a few slugs.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Kobra with weaver rail. Same as the side rail mount model, just weaver base. Good enough for FA AKs, probably good enough for a few slugs.

I was thinking just that. I already put it on to see how it wold look.  I am just worried that it won't handle the recoil. A 12 guage Brenke slug recoild a lot more than an AK. Especially when I shoot it more than most hunters who just go out the week before hunting season.

Natchez has a Bushnell 6 mil unlimited eye relief red dot for $49. Might just pick one up.

Thanks guys.
Too bad they don't make the new PO scope to fit this rig!

Link Posted: 12/6/2002 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Saiga rifle and use both the POP24 Russian side mount and a fast clip on and off dust cover 3X9.  Like the POP24 with lighted recticle however after a few shots you need to reset; design shifts a little but for hunting, one shot one kill take the thing off put it in it's pouch.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait, you need a special barrel for shooting slugs?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 28 inch vent rib skeet barrel with the Mossburg "accu-choke" at the end.  I hear they tend to fly off when slugs are shot through them.

I wanted the range and power of the Breneke slug so I picked up a rifled, ported 24 inch slug barrel.

I have seen the power of the Breneke slug.  I know of many hunters in Europe that use them on hog, stag, and  bear. I have never heard of a second shot being needed. Besides, I would look a little funny out there with the Mossburg 590.

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry guys, thought you talking Saiga 12.  I have a Regal 500 Moss which I use for hunting it has three barrels.  One ribbed for shot, one rifled for slug, and one smooth bore rifle sight for slugs.  To tell you the truth while shooting slugs, I couldn't tell the differance between the rifled and smooth bore.   If I would put a sight on it, I would got with a red dot no magnification which is what I use on my 590.  Issue would be seeing the reticle in low light which is usually when you see deer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
TomJefferson, I had a feeling thats what you were talking about earlier.

I picked up a 0 magnification red dot, 30mm tube. I don't plan to shoot beyond 75 - 100 meters so it should do me fine.

I wanted to use the Kobra, but still couldn't get over the idea that it was made for an AK that recoilds much less.

My 590 is an early issue model, bayo lug and all.  It has the really nice ghost ring sights, as if they would be of much good on a combat shotgun. If they are close enough to use the shotgun on, you don't need sights!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top