User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2002 11:36:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear it Wave!
I'm waiting on the LEGP for my 5.45--hopefully. Can't remember the last time I saw an SAR-2 up here that I'd give a nickel for.
Is that the same AK that you had Informer do for you?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, wave, I can vouch for it as well. I broke my SAR-2 out yesterday and let a few guys that had never shot an AK fire a few mags through it. Everyone loved it. Hopefully my PO 3.5 X 21 will arrive tomorrow so I can experience shooting a scoped AK.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my AK-74. It is scary how fast you can accurately dump ammo with a 5.45 and a Kobra sight.

drjarhead,

What don't you like about the SARs? The look and finish of the parts, or the hack job the butchers at Century do in building it? If it is the latter you may want to look into the Centerfire Systems AK-74 or one built on a VEPR/SAIGA rifle.

The CFS AK-74 in a Romak 922 converted to accept high capacity mags and built on a Ohio Ordanance receiver. They then put a US made (some say ironwood, but I don't know if this is true) stock set on it with the correct lightning cuts and a black pistol grip. The only part of the rifle I don't like is the muzzle brake they use. It is a very poor copy of the 74 mb and does not do much to eliminate recoil. I ended up replacing mine with a Romanian sight base and mb (they rethread the sight base on the rifle so you can't grind the weld off and reinstall the original muzzle brake). Here is a picture of mine. The top one has the new muzzle brake, and the bottom one is a picture of the old mb that came with the rifle.

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Locks are off. My wallet's been gettin plenty of action lately. Picked up a Galil, a Valmet, and an AR in the past month. Wife's been pretty damn tolerant(she bought the AR for my birthday--just finished putting together today, in fact) but I don't want to push it.

Where I live there is limited access to just about everything and I have had to go to the internet to find new purchases. The few SAR's I see are at a gunstore an hour and a half away. All Century, all with shitty finish, stock and canted everything. Thanks for the Centerfire tip, though, I'll check that out. Haven't heard great things about the OOW receivers either, however.
Explain a little more about how you put a now brake on it please.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a process that is simple in theory, often is simple in practice, but can be a real PIA. Unfortunately mine wasn't simple. The pins that hold the sight base in place are tapered and will only come out one side (they have to be driven out right to left), after driving them out you remove the sight base. This can be done with a press, knocking it off with a hammer, or even a two by four. Then you press the new sight base on (once again the tools of choice seem to be a press, hammer, or two by four), and adjust it to get it verticle. Then you must drill the sight base to make holes for the pins that secure the sb to the barrel (a new sight base won't have these holes). Reinstall the pins and you are done. It is recommended that you use a drill press to drill the holes, but many have done it with a hand drill.

On mine the pins would not come out (this is something that varies from gun to gun), and I ended up having to take it to a gunsmith to have the sight base cut off. I had him install the sight while he was at it. If you have to cut the base off then you will need to replace the two 3mm x 12mm.

My receiver looks and functions great. The conversion from a low capacity to a high capacity receiver was well done. I have pictures of it that I'll post when I get back from class.

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Wave, what's wrong with the Kalinka?
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Wave, what's wrong with the Kalinka?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing at all, I just like the Kobra better for the type of shooting I do

Thanks, Wave.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is the conversion and receiver pics.

Kyle

Link Posted: 9/30/2002 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top