Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2002 7:43:55 AM EDT
Can the Saiga rifle be modified to accept high cap mags? I am talking about the AK rifle that has no pistol grip and uses a 10 round mag I want to modify this rifle to accept standard AK magazines.

Can it be done and if so how??
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You need 5 US parts in the gun to legally accept hi caps.  Usually this is best done by converting it to a pistol grip configuration.  A US buttstock, pistol grip, and trigger group does the trick.

Saiga's use a standard width double stack mag that has a feed ramp fashoned into the front of the mag, so the rifle doesn't have a feed ramp.  The mag also has a narrower tang to lock into the mag latch.

The mag well does not need to be opened up any, but the mag latch needs to be filed down to allow standard mag tangs to fit, and a simple feed ramp needs to be installed, which can be done using 3/4 inch water pipe cut to fit and either welded or screwed in to the trunion.

I am in the process of doing this conversion myself, as is Tec Nine, and we will post a tutorial here shortly.  Tec should have pictures!
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Me three to MRW. I also plan to document the process with pictures and post them for those interested.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
making the saiga use hicaps is so easy, all i did after installing US parts, was just make a small bead of weld just behind the chamber about 3/4 of an inch long, and about 1/8 of an inch wide. Using a 3/32 309L16 welding rod.
the reason for using this rod is because it is low carbon, hence the L, and it is a good hardfacing metal,won't wear down, took 5 minutes.and it shoots in all positions flawlessly.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top