Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/5/2021 9:40:16 PM EDT
Found and East German AK for sale in a local listing. I’m familiar with AKs and all. I’m just not up specifically on German AKs. I know what the furniture looks like, but that’s about it. Were any imported with German receivers? Should I expect a US receiver? What marking should I look for? Anything else to consider?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it one made by Atlantic on a morrisey receiver?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is one of the non matching kits built by Atlantic.

I missed out on the numbers matching kits.

As far as I know, no non US receivers. All cut up kit builds unless there are some rewelds out there. A guy on the files has selector marking kits.

The scope mount is not correct at all, i dont think any DDR 47s had them but it makes it more fun. I have a 4x posp whatever from belarus that i put on it and blast things with.

Finish is great, functionality is fantastic. Came with a G2 trigger but all kit builds do.

I put the DDR thread protector and night sights on it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 to above, there are no factory complete East German guns.  You're going to be looking at a parts/kit build, which could range from awesome to fuuuuu depending on who built it out of what parts.

Earlier kits would be matching numbers with a real combloc barrel.  After the barrel ban, the kits would need built with another barrel, which could be another combloc one like Romanian or Polish, or US from good to shitty levels of quality.  Unlined steel, nitrided, chrome, etc.  It all depended on who built it and how dedicated they were to making it nice.  Some of the later "kits" are just mixmaster East German parts put together which would have little value to me.

Best bet would be to get details on receiver markings as to who made it.  If it's just a random receiver, you'd have to inspect it to get an idea of how well it was built.  Are the rivets evenly formed and flush with the receiver?  Serials matching on anything?  What's the barrel look like held up to the light?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
What markings would be on the east German barrel and were would they be?
I can definitely tell if it's a quality AK. He wants $1200 for it. For right now, that's going rate for a junk AK. I'm not sure of what this thing is yet. I'm expecting pictures today. I plan to look at it tomorrow.
For matching parts, front trunnion and bolt? What else would be serialized that would match? Stock?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
East German AK’s

East German MPi AK74 is my grail AK.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Would love to add an East German to the AK family. For me, I’d be happy with a non-sterilized EG trunnion, the rest can be whatever. I think EG barrels have always been hens teeth.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The front trunnion is definitely East German. He won’t answer my question about the barrel. It sounds like he doesn’t know.
The receiver is Nodak Spud.
He says all parts match but I’m guessing he doesn’t actually know that either. So far it’s looking like it’s worth $1200 at least. I’m going to check it out. I’ll probably be the proud new owner of yet another AK tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
East German AK’s

East German MPi AK74 is my grail AK.
View Quote

Ironically the closest one could get to a factory EG AK was the briefly imported Romanian made STG-2003c series 5.56 AKs.

These were supposedly built on StG-940 Weiger blueprints and tooling that East Germany had supplied to Romania in exchange for production of Romanian made RPK-74s for the East German military, as East Germany was never provided tooling to produce any RPK series rifles.

Before that East Germany was supplied RPK LMGs by both USSR and later Romania.

Other Romanian 5.56 rifles like the SAR-3 and WASR-3 were based off of EG designs with a number of variations but utilized the same general receiver, BCG and magazine characteristics with the Weiger rifles.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ironically the closest one could get to a factory EG AK was the briefly imported Romanian made STG-2003c series 5.56 AKs.

These were supposedly built on StG-940 Weiger blueprints and tooling that East Germany had supplied to Romania in exchange for production of Romanian made RPK-74s for the East German military, as East Germany was never provided tooling to produce any RPK series rifles.

Before that East Germany was supplied RPK LMGs by both USSR and later Romania.

Other Romanian 5.56 rifles like the SAR-3 and WASR-3 were based off of EG designs with a number of variations but utilized the same general receiver, BCG and magazine characteristics with the Weiger rifles.
View Quote

I bought mine on a whim in '07 when they were first available because they were so cheap and it was unlike any other AK I'd seen. Glad I did. Pretty light at 6lbs and works flawlessly with Wieger mags.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I bought mine on a whim in '07 when they were first available because they were so cheap and it was unlike any other AK I'd seen. Glad I did. Pretty light at 6lbs and works flawlessly with Wieger mags.

https://i.imgur.com/Qyu6LQe.jpg
View Quote

Nice. Always wanted one but wasn't around when they were cheap. Now you just need an EG wire folder for it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Make sure you ask some questions on the German AK47 rifle.

1 . How long has he had it ?
2. Where did he get it from ?
3. What is marked on the receiver ?
4. What is the overall condition of the gun ?
5. What are the markings on the trunnion ?
6. Does it have all plastic German stock set or combo of wood and plastic ?

The price he is asking is fair given current market conditions BUT beware some people will build a Romanian kit and add German stock set and call it German. This may not be the best AK47 rifle for you if that is the case so do your homework.

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/ddr-ak-47-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-product-prod.jpg
AK47
View Quote

Don't tease us like that...you guys have 95 AKs on your site (and a FAL listed under AKs ), but only three AKs in stock, and it doesn't include that beautiful fixed stock DDR.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't tease us like that...you guys have 95 AKs on your site (and a FAL listed under AKs ), but only three AKs in stock, and it doesn't include that beautiful fixed stock DDR.
View Quote

this made me laugh I check Atlantic daily hoping to see some of those beautiful guns come back in stock
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Would love to add an East German to the AK family. For me, I’d be happy with a non-sterilized EG trunnion, the rest can be whatever. I think EG barrels have always been hens teeth.
View Quote

Yeah, East German barrels in 7.62x39 have always been pretty rare.

The opposite was true for East German 5.45 barrels. Those used to be widely available and cheap.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top