Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/24/2020 7:09:14 PM EDT
I have never owned an AK and haven't the faintest clue about them.  I was trying to sell an old Jeep taking up room on my driveway for $800.  Some guy told me he had an AK he bought at a gun show for $900 and would trade it plus $200 for the jeep.  I just wanted my parking spot back so I accepted the deal.  Now I'm actually a little intrigued by it.

Been trying to do research to figure out exactly what kind of AK it is, if it's any good, and trying to satisfy my curiosity if that guy was lying through his teeth about paying $900 for it.   Hoping you guys can help me answer those questions.  I'll post it in the "Want to know the value of your AK?" thread once I find out exactly what I have.

Here's the rifle and what markings I could find:

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Edit- Romanian parts kit built on U.S. receiver by Lancaster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
That is not a $900 AK

Lancaster 74s had lots of issues (gas ports too big, receivers beating themself to death from overpassing) but their AKM builds were Ok. It will probably shoot fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
If me, I would take it to a gunsmith and make sure it head spaces okay and have him make a general inspection of the rifle.

Then run some rounds through it to see how it performs. You might just fall in love, or not!

It is a nice looking AK.

Added: have that front trunnion checked for cracks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is not a $900 AK

Lancaster 74s had lots of issues (gas ports too big, receivers beating themself to death from overpassing) but their AKM builds were Ok. It will probably shoot fine.
View Quote
Unfortunately these days virtually everything is a $900 AK
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends when it was made.  Early Lancaster rifles were good but quality dropped off 8-9-ish years ago.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
That guy may very well have paid &900 for that AK.  No eat in hell I’d pay anywhere near $900.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with the majority of the folks here; that rifle is not worth $900.  There are numerous AK manufacturers that build fantastic rifles out there for less than that amount.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If he got $200 cash for it too (as he indicated in his thread at the start) its a $700 rifle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If he got $200 cash for it too (as he indicated in his thread at the start) its a $700 rifle.
View Quote
Ok, let’s do the math and solve for AK. :). Sorry, couldn’t help it.
$200 + AK = $800 Jeep
AK = $600
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$200 + AK = $800 Jeep
AK = $600
View Quote
Yea, that about sums it up.  Now let's see what it's actually worth, just posted it in the "Want to know the value of your AK?" thread to satisfy curiosity!  Either way I got my parking spot back and I finally have an AK.  Win win for me.

Now the only question is... Magpul it out, or keep the wood?
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea, that about sums it up.  Now let's see what it's actually worth, just posted it in the "Want to know the value of your AK?" thread to satisfy curiosity!  Either way I got my parking spot back and I finally have an AK.  Win win for me.

View Quote
I would make damn sure the gun is safe to shoot before "modernizing" it.

Buy some go-no-go gauges and check headspace. If it checks out good, shoot it and see if you like it. Pay attention to any excessive wear on the BCG, rear trunnion and so on.

Sad fact is, is Lancaster did have some QC issues but that doesn't mean you got one of the "bad" ones.

Hell, I have a DDI AK, that has several thousand rounds thru it, it is doing great.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
If nothing else it may be a good romy parts kit, I wouldn't sell it, just check everything out and if headpsace etc is bad, take it apart, check trunnions and everything else carefully, then get a good receiver and build it. The receiver it's built on is a Nodak so it's good quality.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to my local gun shop over the weekend and had them do a real quick headspace check.  They said it was good to go so I bought 3 different brands of steel cased 7.62x39 from them and headed to the desert.  The rifled chewed through all the ammo just fine.  Overall went through about 120 rounds of mixed ammo without any failures.

Definitely a different beast than my finely tuned 3 gun rifle.  Felt like a man again after it beat on my should for a while, especially that wooden stock with a steel plate for padding lol.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$200 + AK = $800 Jeep
AK = $600

Save your money and buy ammo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Save your money and buy ammo.
View Quote
This man speaks truth. It looks better just the way it is! Buy ammo with your money.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top