Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2014 11:19:22 PM EDT
If you have gotten a WASR 10 QC inspected one from Atlantic, do they have a welded piston on the bolt carrier? I think I have a spare carrier from a romy g i could use if i had to but I just ordered a new WASR 10 and am hearing that the older ones from like 2007-09 some had a welded piston which is just not right by me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
While technically not correct, Century has been welding the pistons since at least 1999 with virtually no problems.  My 1999 SAR1 functions perfectly with a welded piston.  I would not worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Well some wasr do and do not have welded pistons. both coming from centry. i am just curious if they are still doing it or if someone has gotten one recently from atlantic. if mine is welded im gonna be a little disapointed and replace the entire carrier with a surplus one that is assembled correctly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well some wasr do and do not have welded pistons. both coming from centry. i am just curious if they are still doing it or if someone has gotten one recently from atlantic. if mine is welded im gonna be a little disapointed and replace the entire carrier with a surplus one that is assembled correctly.
View Quote

I can respect your position on the situation, but you don't necessarily have to  replace the entire carrier.
If you run across a welded piston to carrier situation, you can easily grind the weld and restore the piston to its original floating configuration.  Many people did that back in the "old days".  Its too bad the old Gunsnet board went to hell, because there was a lot of useful information on that board, including the subject at hand.
That said, going along with the good Farmer, the welded piston generally doesn't create any issues.  My 99 SAR 1 and my 99 SAR 2 are both welded, and I figure if it isn't broke, there isn't a need to fix it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
if it is welded in my opinion it is worse than broke it is not correct, Kalash did things the way he did because thats the way they were intended to be. I am sorry but I cannot do a welded piston but when I finally get it Ill deal with it then. Will a bolt carrier from a romy g work in wasr 10?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if it is welded in my opinion it is worse than broke it is not correct,
View Quote

You may be disappointed with any AK then, pretty much any one sold in the US is not completely "correct".  Compromises and changes had to be made to make them legal in the US.  
The other carrier should work fine, but then the numbers will not match, which is not correct.  And since the piston is a US made part, you may be out of compliance (if you're worried about that).
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
if its welded and i have to change carrier i will add another us part.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are worried about something like welded pistons on a WASR, how do you feel about WASR's not having stamped mag well dimples? Easy the most noticable thing about them nor can you really fix it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats fine thats how they come from the military arsenal. But they sure as hell didnt weld their pistons;q
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you are worried about something like welded pistons on a WASR, how do you feel about WASR's not having stamped mag well dimples? Easy the most noticable thing about them nor can you really fix it.
View Quote

This.

If you're worried about a welded piston, a WASR is not for you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thats fine thats how they come from the military arsenal. But they sure as hell didnt weld their pistons;q
View Quote
Uh, no it's not. Real military Romy AK's all have dimples. The reason the Wasr's don't have dimples is because of the small mag well openings on the gun needed for importation. The dimple which is used to support a hi cap mag would never be used on a low cap mag, as they would never touch. That's why Century welds metal on the inside of the receiver after the opening in the receiver is hogged out. This duplicates the function of the dimples which don't come on the gun. To the OP, your Romy G carrier will be a drop in replacement.  GARY
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread feels like BigSaiga1987's threads. OP if it bothers you that badly replace it, but try shooting it for a while as is and just see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's why Century welds metal on the inside of the receiver after the opening in the receiver is hogged out.
View Quote

The Romanians weld those brackets in the receiver when it is made.
They serve the primary purpose of magazine locator tabs for the single stack magazines. Without them the single stack magazines would flop around enough that the rifle wouldn't work.The tabs are milled off to the same width as the standard magazine locator tabs during the conversion process.
The secondary purpose of the tab is to stiffen the receiver which happens to be the purpose of the indentations on an AKM receiver..
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The secondary purpose of the tab is to stiffen the receiver which happens to be the purpose of the indentations on an AKM receiver..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's why Century welds metal on the inside of the receiver after the opening in the receiver is hogged out.

This. The dimples aren't used to support the mag, which is evident when you look inside the magwell. The indentations of the dimples end short of the rails, which is what actually guides and supports the top of the magazine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Also, note that even if it's welded that doesn't mean it won't float. All of my AKs have welded pistons but, IIRC, only one of them is rigid. I've never had a problem with either wobbling or rigid pistons causing an issue and I can only recall one person ever saying they have personally experienced an issue related to a welded piston.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#15]
a non issue
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#16]
NVM
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top