Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2013 12:50:08 PM EDT
So I'm down to the wire to get an AK. I live in MD and in a month they are banned. Anyways I found this AK on cheaper than dirt. I know that site has left a bad taste in many mouths so I'm not asking for reference on the site. This is the rifle they are selling AK47 . Based on the specs and brand and what not is it worth buying or is it a POS? Thanks all!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The Yugo o-pap are suppose to be very good.  That seems like a really good price too, they were $599 not long ago, I'ld get it now while available.  I would consider ordering one from them but for in state taxes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yugo PAP's are awesome. All the Kinks from the n-paps and paps have been worked out, the O-pap is the nicest of all the PAP platforms, comes with a side optics rail, the PROPER bolt, the PROPER dust-cover, and I think, not 100% on this, but i'm pretty sure century doesnt touch them(ie. mill out the magwell for hi-cap mags), they simply import them.

the ONLY downside to this rifle... be aware...its robust 1.6mm bulged RPK style receiver makes it heavier than the average AK. not by a ton...but by a noticeable amount... with that I will give you this... I absolutely LOVE my Yugo PAP M70. and $549 is much cheaper than I got mine for.

Good luck with your AK purchase.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy it up. You can always send it back if it has canted sights etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If you just want a "shooter" then go ahead. Big thread on another AK forum about these, some had to send them back and others say they shoot fine so far. The common analysis is that they do not come cosmetically perfect. Lots are reporting nicked up furniture, scratches, etc
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you just want a "shooter" then go ahead. Big thread on another AK forum about these, some had to send them back and others say they shoot fine so far. The common analysis is that they do not come cosmetically perfect. Lots are reporting nicked up furniture, scratches, etc
View Quote

For a sub $600 gun, don't expect a lot in terms of pristine. The furniture on these OPAPs are takeoffs from surplus rifles so expect nicks and imperfections here and there. Other than that, mine is good to go and a far better value and overall condition. You also have to remember, the gun is blued not painted which hides imperfections (think Arsenal).
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Buy it up. You can always send it back if it has canted sights etc.
View Quote

Canted sights are not a problem.  These guns are manufactured in Serbia, imported by Century, and CAI adds enough US parts to make them 922r compliant

Buy 2 OP.  OPAP's and the newer NPAP's are awesome.

I picked up a NPAP last Friday, took it to the range and had a blast.  It was my first AK.  I like it so much that I have a converted Saiga coming and I am looking for a MAK 90 to convert.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no experience with yugo AKs, but I do have experience with AW bans.

Buy now, you can fix later.

Buy now, you can sell later.

Buy buy buy.  If you think you might want one, buy it.

AR, AK, FAL, MAC, UZI, PSL, whatever.  

Buy.

I wisk I had bought a Galil, a Daewoo,  a PSL or a TIGR, and some HK rifles before it was too late.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the feedback! I think I am going to get it. But what are canted sights?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback! I think I am going to get it. But what are canted sights?
View Quote

On some of the Century imported Romanian WASR's the front sight posts were canted or off center.  This is not a problem with OPAP's.  Even if it were, it is a pretty easy fix.

My NPAP has the proper front trunnion, double stack bolt, sights are not canted, no front to back mag wobble.  Century seems to have the bugs worked out
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen canted sights on all makes of  AK's. I've seen a Bulgy, and IO, even an Arsenal last year. It's not just WASR's.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Barrel is not chrome-lined OP, doesn't take a standard buttstock either, if either one of those two things matter to you, just an FYI.  I hear good things generally about the O-paps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The buttstock dosnt bother me. But what are the cons to not having a crome lines barrel?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, nvm I was able to find it in the archives of the forum. I don't think I'll ever shoot enough to need a chrome lined barrel but its always nice to have. Anyways I have accepted paying more money so
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4
Option 5

Now all things considered, keeping in mind I will be paying a total of 85$ extra for transfer fees (long story) which gun will give me the best bang for my buck.
Sorry so run you guys all over the place but I really do appreciate it as I have very little experience with AK's.
Oh keeping in mind I am a full time college student working part time so money is a slight issue.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Okay, nvm I was able to find it in the archives of the forum. I don't think I'll ever shoot enough to need a chrome lined barrel but its always nice to have. Anyways I have accepted paying more money so
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4
Option 5

Now all things considered, keeping in mind I will be paying a total of 85$ extra for transfer fees (long story) which gun will give me the best bang for my buck.
Sorry so run you guys all over the place but I really do appreciate it as I have very little experience with AK's.
Oh keeping in mind I am a full time college student working part time so money is a slight issue.
View Quote

The OPAP is better than all of those
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4
Option 5

View Quote

I'd buy this before i'd buy any of those (or anything for that matter from CTD, there are other vendors that have those same rifles) : http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/mm-llc/10762-razr-ak47-rifle-7.62x39mm-16in-30rd-black-quad-rail/

Kygunco had them recently on sale for 599, still kicking myself for not getting one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Couple of nice yugos for sale on the EE right now, always have good luck buying from other arfcommers: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_122/1215470_WTS_Yugo_M70B1_and_Yugo_M70AB2_rifles.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The buttstock dosnt bother me. But what are the cons to not having a crome lines barrel?
View Quote

In simple terms chrome lining makes a barrel last longer and more corrosion resistant. Corrosive x39 ammo is really a thing of the past since milsurp (corrosive) ammo has all but disappeared. If you clean your rifle after you shoot it it's really a non issue. As for barrel life even a non chrome lined barrel will still be fine when you pass it to your grandkids for the average shooter.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:... Corrosive x39 ammo is really a thing of the past since milsurp (corrosive) ammo has all but disappeared....
View Quote

that should be true, and usually is, but century just sold some corrosive x39, as did wolf, because the supplier screwed up.

I am sure the PAPs are nice, but the WASR is closer to the most common AKM models found throughout the world.  man I can't decide.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry wrong post

Quoted:

For a sub $600 gun, don't expect a lot in terms of pristine. The furniture on these OPAPs are takeoffs from surplus rifles so expect nicks and imperfections here and there. Other than that, mine is good to go and a far better value and overall condition. You also have to remember, the gun is blued not painted which hides imperfections (think Arsenal).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd buy this before i'd buy any of those (or anything for that matter from CTD, there are other vendors that have those same rifles) : http://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/mm-llc/10762-razr-ak47-rifle-7.62x39mm-16in-30rd-black-quad-rail/

Kygunco had them recently on sale for 599, still kicking myself for not getting one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4
Option 5

okay so i agree with you with on CTD, i just didnt want to turn this post into a bash on them and why i shouldnt buy from them. However like i said im in maryland and on 10/1/13 AK's are banned. so  time is against me. CTD was just a place i found them in stock. I LOVE the wood trim look. so much so that unless i got a crazy price on a all black one, i wouldnt get it.
So maybe i should have asked this. Does anyone know where they have good AK's in stock? for under 680$?
otherwise i am probably going to buy the O-PAP by weeks end.
Thanks again for everyones help!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Couple of nice yugos for sale on the EE right now, always have good luck buying from other arfcommers: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_122/1215470_WTS_Yugo_M70B1_and_Yugo_M70AB2_rifles.html
View Quote

That is the first one i have seen in my price range on the EE, all others are to fancy for my budget. As for the first one on there, the butt stock dose not match the hand guard, and my OCD is kicking in, and the second one isnt what im looking for. I like the full butt stock AK
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is the first one i have seen in my price range on the EE, all others are to fancy for my budget. As for the first one on there, the butt stock dose not match the hand guard, and my OCD is kicking in, and the second one isnt what im looking for. I like the full butt stock AK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay guys & gals, i need a plan B. Cheaper than Dirt is not cooperating at all. The AK ships with a 30 rd mag which are illegal in maryland, my plan was to have them ship it to a FFL in WV have them remove the 30rd mag and then have them ship it to my FFL. but CTD are being retarded and dont understand this concept and wont ship it to me at all. so I need a plan B! any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As for the first one on there, the butt stock dose not match the hand guard, and my OCD is kicking in
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#24]
yea i know lol i slept on it and realized i was a idiot and i got back on to message the guy. i did and he informed me they were sold :( stupidity screws me again lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Okay guys & gals, i need a plan B. Cheaper than Dirt is not cooperating at all. The AK ships with a 30 rd mag which are illegal in maryland, my plan was to have them ship it to a FFL in WV have them remove the 30rd mag and then have them ship it to my FFL. but CTD are being retarded and dont understand this concept and wont ship it to me at all. so I need a plan B! any help is appreciated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't they just keep the 30 round mag and ship it with no mag at all?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Why can't they just keep the 30 round mag and ship it with no mag at all?
View Quote

because they say it is coming straight from the factory, and they never see it.
i literally got in a argument with the guy on the phone because he said it was illegal for me to have a AK at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]
here : http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-ak-47-m70-pap-7-62x39-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

I m in Commifornia , and atlantic is amount the very few ban state friendly online dealers out there , they will ship your 30 rnds as " rebuild kits " , but talk to your ffl and make sure they accept rebuilds.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Atlantic is once again out of stock on the O PAP. Get on the e-mail notification list and/or check back every day. If you call or e-mail they may be able to tell you if they are expecting more soon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Back in stock at J&G for $549
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Back in stock at J&G for $549
View Quote

Thanks so much! However JG SALES seems to be the most incompetent people ive ever met.. ive been trying to place the order for 2 hours now and they giving me all kinds of trouble.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks so much! However JG SALES seems to be the most incompetent people ive ever met.. ive been trying to place the order for 2 hours now and they giving me all kinds of trouble.
View Quote

I am confused ... Just order your gun from there website ... How can that be confusing?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Talked to J&G at one of the shows but have never dealt with them. And, fwiw, O-PAPs back in stock at Atlantic. Price not as good but you get one more mag and don't have to deal with J&G.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am confused ... Just order your gun from there website ... How can that be confusing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yea it shouldn't have been confusing. but i called because i live in Maryland and its hard to get a firearm shipped with a 30rd mag included, so i would have to have the mag removed. Anyways i called in and asked to speak to sales, after a 10min hold time i got a representative. I told him i saw a gun online and wanted to place a order. he said "Okay" followed by a long pause. he then said "soooo whats your question" i told him i wanted to place a order. he said " okay we need a copy of your FFL" so i told him i wasn't a ffl, but i was going to have it shipped to one. he told me to have them fax the FFL then call back either later today or tomorrow to place my order. I then asked him about the 30rd Mag and he said they would ship it as long as my FFL would accept it. So i went to my local FFL holder and had him fax his FFL to them, as well as a later stating that he would receive a hi cap mag. . I called back about 20mins later, even though he said to wait, I just wanted to make sure they received it. so after 3 different transfers i got to a lady who said they had received it. So i asked to be transferred back to sales. surprisingly the same guy pick up, so i asked if we could proceed with the order since they received the FFL. He said no because the FFL was not in their system. So i informed him that i just talked to the lady and she said they received it, after another brief hold he got back on the phone and informed me that as a courtesy they would allow me to proceed. I told him in wanted the O-PAP and he said okay well there's a problem. He said that my FFL sent him a "letter of extension" which expired at the end of 2013. so i asked what the problem was. He said that we he looked on the FED's website this shop came up as having their renewed license with a expiration date of 2016. and he said they cant accept the Letter of Extension since a new license was issued.
So a break from the story...
this is what irritates me, why cant you accept something when you can clearly see on the FED's website that they have been renewed. seriously....

So anyways i said i would go back to my guy and have him fax out the other one. I then asked if we could still proceed as i knew their stock was limited. He said yes...followed by a long pause. He then said "well there's another problem" He said that the letter that states he will accept high Cap mag's was hand written. he then said "how do i know you didn't write that and fax it in"....

Okay pause again.
So how the fuck was i suppose to write a letter, sign it with my guys signature and slip it onto his fax machine without him knowing?? seriously what the hell did he want.

so i said that's fine ill have him fax you one with a letter head, then i asked if we could still proceed. He then said no, that i needed to clear everything up with the dealer first.

So i went back to my FFL holder and explained to him the situation and he said "why cant they accept it, i haven't received the paper version of my new license, that's why i have my letter of extension" so he told me to call them and he will talk to them. So i called back and once again after being on hold for about 10-15 mins the same guy picked up. I gave the phone to my FFL and they literally argued for a couple mins and the guy from JGSALES refused to accept the Letter of extension. So my FFL slams the phone down and says "ill take care of this right now" walks over and gets his "manufacturers license". picks up the phone and says "i have a manufacturers license, are you going to accept that.
well he faxed it in only for the guy to say they couldn't accept it because he never signed it...so he signed it and faxed it back in.

Well they accepted that, and i was able to purchase my AK. this whole situation literally took over 2 hours to get it. I almost didn't want to buy from them just because they were giving me so many issues. I will likely never order from them again.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top