Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 1:08:12 PM EDT
As I mentioned in a previous post, Dmitry at Soviet-Propaganda.com said he was getting a small number of Chamlion SVD rigs in stock in the middle of April. Needless to say I jumped on the chance to get a few and one arrived today. I actually ordered two but there seems to be a slip up somewhere, in any case that will get sorted out and at least I can review the one I have.

After taking Marco's Dragunov class earlier in the year and getting to see on first hand I was really interested in trying one out myself. In his class I used my TT-MAV but didn't have dedicated SVD pouches, instead I was trying out a couple utility pouches that were less than satisfactory, plus I only had room for 4 mags. By the time the class was over I was wishing I had one.

First off it seems very well made, stiching looks well done and mine is so new it smells almost of paint or plastic. The Chamelion does indeed hold 10 mags and you can carry the PSO as advertised. I don't think it's going to work as an additional pouch like I thought however, it's really just a flap when undone that holds the PSO. You'll see in the pics. Straps are nice and support the load well across the shoulders, there's an addtional strap and buckle that goes across your back to tighten it up. The should pads slip easily up and down the shoulder straps but I think they will stay in place, we'll see though.

It really is a chest rig too...the top pockets are very high, the weight is nice and balanced even with 10 mags and it feels pretty secure when running around the 20 feet of backyard I have. I practiced a little prone reloading and 4 of the pockets are easily accessible giving you 8 mags within pretty easy reach. The one near your left arm is obviously more difficult since you reload while laying on your left side, but they can be reached... just not as easily. When both mags are in the pouch they are very tight. There is no divider between them, there is an elastic band on the outside of each pouch that helps keep them tight. On the 3 main pockets this seems fine, due to the angle of insertion on the two side pockets this elastic makes it tricky to get the second mag in. So far the elastic doesn't seem to hang up the mags on the way out of the pouch and so far it doesn't seem like the other mag comes out with it. I suppose under more stress we'll see for sure. The elastic is not adjustable. Each pouch has a snap and velcro, but you can't adjust the snap length either. The rig doesn't pass the Spetsnaz jump up and down to check for noise test...both side pockets make some racket. I think with some fiddling these might be quieted down like the main 3 pouches are.Total weight with 10 loaded mags and no PSO is about 12.5 pounds. Each SVD mag weighs about 15 ounces loaded, I estimate the Chamelion is around 3 pounds roughly by itself. It could be a little less.  

The back of the Chamelion has a plastic/nylon map flap. You can't store much here that's not super thin, anything with any size is going to dig into your chest by the weight of the 3 main pouches pushing in. Not a bad design IMO, just definitely for a map and not much else from what I can see.

First impressions are good but I won't get to the range probably for at least a week to see what it's like when actually shooting. For now I have to say it's pretty neat, looks well made and functional and it's nice to have something specifically for the Dragunov. Will obviously work for PSL's or any DMR type rifle with similar mags.

PSO pouch

PSO being carried...not 100% I have this figured out actually, I would imagine its supposed to close somehow

Tactical Buddha

Contemplative Buddha

Battle Rattle

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
NICE!

Does your wife know what you did to the budda?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Seriously.

The coolest stuff ever.

[/jealousy]

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
NICE!

Does your wife know what you did to the budda?

No, and STFU hahaha  

He'll be back in the house before she gets home          

Z
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for being the guinea pig.  nice write up and pics!
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine arrived as well.  Awesome rig.

I should be able to use it with my PSL, AR-10 (10 round mags), .308 Veprs, and M76.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tactical Buddha

I better do some reading. I seem to have forgotten Buddha's tactical phase.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Soviet-Propaganda.com

What a great site. Thanks TX-Zen
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the review & pics TxZen!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Man those sold out quick.  Thanks for the write up Brother.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Great review and pics as always!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I found it rather amusing that my chest rig was declared as a "jacket" on the postal form on the outside of the package.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I better do some reading. I seem to have forgotten Buddha's tactical phase.

The path to enlightenment takes many roads      

Quoted:
Soviet-Propaganda.com

What a great site. Thanks TX-Zen

Seriousy yes...that guy is going to make me go broke          

Z
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#13]
that is some awesome and effective looking camo right there!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Heard of a war poodle? well this is a war buddha!

Good write up!
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]
One more site for me to spend $$ on.  Great stuff though!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top