Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 8:57:13 AM EDT
So after searching around for a SLR-106FR I received an e-mail from Arsenal saying that the rifle is not even in production anymore (despite what it says on the website). After thinking about my options for awhile a seeing that the 106FR is going for around $1500 in some places I'm considering the 5.45mm again and am seriously looking at the SGL-31.

On the plus side ammo is cheap and replacement parts and magazines are readily available. On the negative side all it will take is a law barring importation of surplus foreign military ammo and something else to make the supply dry up and I'm stuck with an orphan rifle. Of course there is Hornady and I'm sure if they sell their 5.45 well others will follow. That if the supply does dry up for some reason I'm sure someone will fill the need.

So... On to my questions.

1) What is the best brand of ammo to go with (outside of Hornady)?

2) One of the things I like about the SLR-106FR was the waffle magazines. It's a small detail but I like the aesthetics of the magazines. My understanding is that AK-74 magazines are interchangeable between different countries recievers, correct? Are their any waffle style magazines available for the SGL-31?

3) I asked this before about the 106FR but didn't get alot of responses besides being told that because of the style of receiver it wasn't possible so again for the SGL-31 which has a fixed stock... One of the modifications I'd like to make to it is a collapsible stock for the different length of pull between my wife and I while still maintaining the folding capability, basically this...

http://www.warriortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13920&d=1300121455
http://www.warriortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13921&d=1300121486

... Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to do for this?

4) I've heard repeatedly that I will want to swap out the trigger for a G2. However I know there are single and double hook types, which would I need?

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
1: 7N6 is military ammo and can be found the cheapest. It's corrosive so rinse with water and clean normally before putting it up.
Check http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=5.45x39 for the best prices on 5.45
Silverbear is good ammo too and non corrosive but more expensive than 7N6. Wolf of course is fine and non corrosive as well.

2: 74 mags are interchangeable, no waffles that I know of. Copes has sanitized Russian plum and bakelite for something like $10 a mag. They are Russian but have the arsenal mark ground off and are usually painted black, sold as Bulgarian I think

4: The Arsenal US made FCG is horrible, very gritty. The G2 is much smoother IMO. You'll need a single hook, the SGL's don't come with double hook receivers

Z
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Arsenal does make a 45 round black waffle with all the steel reinforcement in 5.45.  K-var and most places have it around $40 right now.  Never seen a 30 rnd waffle in 5.45 though.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top