Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 6:02:27 PM EDT
I don't know anything about AK's but i think i would like to get one.I read some threads and looked at pics here.
Can some of ya tell me what and who from you would go knowing what you know now to buy your first AK?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-Certified-AK47-with-bayonet-and-pouch-50p10.htm I would get this. I have higher end AK's and I don't think I've ever found them to shoot better then the lower end AK's like the one in the link.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about AK's but i think i would like to get one.

Before you buy a Kalashnikov, I think you should start by learning a little bit about them. Some info links are below. Happy reading...!!!

Avtomats in Action - Tantal

AK-47

AKM

AK-74
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know anything about AK's but i think i would like to get one.

Before you buy a Kalashnikov, I think you should start by learning a little bit about them. Some info links are below. Happy reading...!!!

Avtomats in Action - Tantal

AK-47

AKM

AK-74

And you could spend a bit more time reading here and at theakforum.net.  It really is better to make an educated decision rather than jone based on ust a few thread responses.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-Certified-AK47-with-bayonet-and-pouch-50p10.htm I would get this. I have higher end AK's and I don't think I've ever found them to shoot better then the lower end AK's like the one in the link.

Looks like that one is out of stock.I looked at the links below too...Thanks.
Any others you might suggest?
What got my interest up is a guy was over running a ethernet cable through the house to wire up some routers and he saw my AR15 junk everywhere and we got to
talking guns.I could of talked his head of but he was trying to work.He says he was into AR's and after he got into AK's he sold all the AR's.
He even has the dies and tools to press his own recievers...i was completely dazzled man.I know there are so many to buy out there but don't want to go get
some junky crap for one so thats why i'm asking...help in some guideance if you want to steer me in the right directions.Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
help in some guideance if you want to steer me in the right directions.Thanks.

You need to decide on a Caliber (7.62x39 or 5.45x39) then decide if you want a Milled or Stamped receiver, then if you want a PreBan or or not, then decide on the most you are willing to spend.....then others can help you in making a decision. With no info to go on, the vast array of variants is too much.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in the day, we made our own with parts kits.  Now it is cheaper to buy a complete rifle.  If I was in the market for a new AK style rifle, the first place I would look in Arsenal Inc:  http://www.ak-47.us/Arsenal.php
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to decide on a Caliber (7.62x39 or 5.45x39) then decide if you want a Milled or Stamped receiver, then if you want a PreBan or or not, then decide on the most you are willing to spend.....then others can help you in making a decision. With no info to go on, the vast array of variants is too much.

5.45x39
Stamped
Preban or
Flexable on price...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in the day, a kit like this was under $100:  http://whatacountry.com/romanian-ak-47-parts-kit.aspx
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess i can try to get a hold of the cable guy, i know his supervisor.maybe he has some for sell...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5.45x39
Stamped
Preban or
Flexable on price...

Unless you are looking for a budget rifle, and just want a good quality rifle and are willing to pay the extra to get it, I'd second the recommendation of Arsenal.  There are cheaper options available and while some of them may be good, they are sometimes a crap shoot.  If you don't mind getting one with issues and having to send it back, or fixing it yourself, and having to replace the furniture right away, etc. then I guess you could take a chance with some of the cheaper options from Century.  But, if you want a good off the shelf rifle that needs nothing (well, other than maybe a better finish) then I'd just skip the crap and go straight to an Arsenal.  If you're on a budget though, then some of the others are an option that some have been happy with.  It just depends on how much you are looking to spend really.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5.45x39
Stamped
Preban or
Flexable on price...

Unless you are looking for a budget rifle, and just want a good quality rifle and are willing to pay the extra to get it, I'd second the recommendation of Arsenal.  There are cheaper options available and while some of them may be good, they are sometimes a crap shoot.  If you don't mind getting one with issues and having to send it back, or fixing it yourself, and having to replace the furniture right away, etc. then I guess you could take a chance with some of the cheaper options from Century.  But, if you want a good off the shelf rifle that needs nothing (well, other than maybe a better finish) then I'd just skip the crap and go straight to an Arsenal.  If you're on a budget though, then some of the others are an option that some have been happy with.  It just depends on how much you are looking to spend really.

I looked at Arsenal link above and it showed pics of rifles but i did not see anything to click on or prices...just some links with parts etc.
What i'm i looking for over there?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5.45x39

Stamped

Preban or

Flexable on price...

I looked at Arsenal link above and it showed pics of rifles but i did not see anything to click on or prices...just some links with parts etc.

What i'm i looking for over there?

It was an information website, google Arsenal Inc to get prices.    You want an AK-74 from your description.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Several different retailers sell Arsenal rifles.  Here is just one example of an Arsenal 5.45x39 AK.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Several different retailers sell Arsenal rifles.  Here is just one example of an Arsenal 5.45x39 AK.

Sweet, is that a Siaga conversion?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes.  Arsenal is a company that imports and modifys Saigas into a more traditional AK type rifle.  They don't really make rifles, just import and modify them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes.  Arsenal is a company that imports and modifys Saigas into a more traditional AK type rifle.  They don't really make rifles, just import and modify them.

Cool, a real Russian AK.  Beats a Century build any day.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I guess that is the mainstay of their marketing strategy.  But yeah, I'd agree that it beats a Century build any day of the week... if you don't mind paying for the difference.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I guess that is the mainstay of their marketing strategy.  But yeah, I'd agree that it beats a Century build any day of the week... if you don't mind paying for the difference.

It's a no brainier as far as I am concerned.

The only Century AK I would consider is a Yugo, and only if it had cool wartime carvings on the stock.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

$779...don't seem to bad.Now i need to think on it.I sure like my AR15's too. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$779...don't seem to bad.Now i need to think on it.I sure like my AR15's too. Thanks guys.

I have a ton of guns, and by far the AKs are the funnest to shoot and the ammo is still cheap compared to others.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, like I said, that is just one example.  There are other models and vendors.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#22]
texjames, basically what that Arsenal rifle is, is a converted Russian Siaga rifle.  See link:  http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct796.aspx

A Siaga is a Russian built rifle, which is built at the same factory as the military rifles.  Notice that the trigger is back from the magazine and it has hunting style furniture on it.  A conversion is done to make it an AK rifle, and it has a real Russian receiver.    So, it becomes a real Russian AK once converted.   I would love to own one.

The Siaga was made in a sporting format so it could be imported.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:49:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here is the thing with AKs.  The junky looking ones will run just as well as the ones with nice fit and finish.  A wasr does the same thing as an Arsenal.  If everything is straight, then it will shoot.  Personally, I have a Saiga in 7.62  it is my everything rifle.  Mine came with the factory skeleton stock and I notice a dramatic decrease in felt recoil over the military configuration.  It is perhaps the most accurate AK platform rifle I've ever fired with consistent sub 2moa groups with good ammo and a scope.  

I have about $400 in the rifle total  counting US mags and feed ramp and  including US sear( made by removing the trigger spur from an FSE trigger I had lying around), disconector and hammer to make US parts count.  I bought used and shopped around to find deals.

Who has deals on WASR's? Any Ad's you've seen?
This ad a reputable co.?
WASR2
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I would go with Henderson's Certified if going with a century. MIne shoots great, and for $50 more why not for a great warranty.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#27]
went out to the Air Base BX today and they have two AK's one with a folding stock.The full wood stock furniture one is a 7.62x39
and is a Century Arms GP WASR 10-63 Romainian and was $446.79 and no sales tax on base. I looked at it pretty good.Appears to have chrome bore.
The thing is sorta rough looking but i guess thats how they are huh? The front sight looked straitht to me.Has the muzzle with the tappered end on it.
How's that one sound for right here in town.I kind of wanted 5.45x39 though.Whats the deal on chambering...guess the 5.45 would be cheaper huh?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
went out to the Air Base BX today and they have two AK's one with a folding stock.The full wood stock furniture one is a 7.62x39
and is a Century Arms GP WASR 10-63 Romainian and was $446.79 and no sales tax on base. I looked at it pretty good.Appears to have chrome bore.
The thing is sorta rough looking but i guess thats how they are huh? The front sight looked straitht to me.Has the muzzle with the tappered end on it.
How's that one sound for right here in town.I kind of wanted 5.45x39 though.Whats the deal on chambering...guess the 5.45 would be cheaper huh?

The WASR 10/63 seem to be built with de-milled military kits vs. unknown origin or quality parts as with previous WASR's.  Check to see if it has all matching serial #'s.  Not a deal breaking, but nice to have.  Also, check to see if the mags have any wobble, or fit tight. Smooth action and trigger?  If these things check out, that price is good if not paying tax or dealer transfer fees.

I got mine from Henderson Defense.  All matching, parts and bore look new.  I use 0000 steel wool to shine-up the metal a bit.  I changed my handguards, PG and stained my stock.  You can definitely clean these rifles up.

The Russian surplus 5.45x39 ammo is cheap right now, but it's also corrosive. And once it dries-up, you're probably paying the same as you would 7.62x39.
I would go with the 7.62x39 and pick-up the 5.45 down the road.  7.62x39 is readily available by many manufactures as are the mags.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not a bad price.  Look at the online dealers, then add in shipping and transfer cost.  You also had the opportunity to look at and handle the local one before buying.

I am going back out to the BX tomorrow (tuesday) and most likely will get this WASR 10-63.I have looked a numerous You Tube vids, got lots of info on theakforum.net
I think for the price vs. fun factor if all the "things to check list" are OK it will come home with me.Hope they have some ammo for that too.
I will let everybody know how it go's.Thanks guys!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top