Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 8:44:10 PM EDT
Hey all, new to the forum...got a few questions to ask!

So, I've been looking into buying an ak 74, and found one that's right for me. However, some people say key holing is an issue with them...

It's a 16.25 in US barrel, with a 1:8 twist.
I'd like to shoot 53 grain surplus ammunition through it without key holing 100-300 meters.

Will I be able to shoot surplus through a 1:8 twist, or will I have to find a different rifle offering a better twist ratio for surplus.

Thanks,

Green Jelly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The main 74-style AK that I have heard has key-holing issues is the Century Tantal, which is why most prefer the Interarms Tantal.
What specific 74 are you talking about?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, I've been looking into buying an ak 74, and found one that's right for me. However, some people say key holing is an issue with them...

The problem with the Century 5.45 rifles wasn't the rate of twist. It was the diameter of the bore. The US made barrels had a diameter that is proper for 5.56 caliber rifles, which is too large for the 5.45 bullet.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Some US barrels have also been reportedly made with a 1/9" twist because they ASSUMED the weight was close enough to the 5.56 that it would shoot the same.  Unfortunately, she slower twists can be a problematic depending on which grain round you're using.  Some actually went with US inches instead of mm like they're supposed to.  For the mil-spec ammo the proper twist should be 4 right-hand twists.  Twist rate should be one turn in 180 mm (7.85").  

Now, before anyone comes in here and tells me I'm full of shit and I don't know what I'm talking about this came directly from a source book co-written by Val Shilin who worked at Izhevsk and was there through some of the development of the 74.  So before I get into the pissing contest of who knows more about this (and I am NOT the difinitive source) you can take any information I just posted up with Comrade Shilin and tell him he's full of shit.  There you have it.  This is the proper barrel twist for the 13MZh round (5,45X39,5mm).
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 to all of them

Here is my link - HERE  it discusses this topic
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top