Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 3:40:04 PM EDT
I just purchased a WASR from Classicarms.us. I got the military shooters package with 4 mags, a slant brake, sling. mag pouch, cleaning kit, bayonet, case, and Tapco trigger. I asked them to make sure the front sight were not canted and they said they check for this all of the time. I got the package for $500. What do you guys think, good buy or not? BTW this is my first AK.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
a fella could surely do a damn sight worse.

as far as getting into the sickness hobby goes, you did just fine.  that package is a great way to get into AK's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats about what they're going for. Enjoy your rifle...its a great shooter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations!  Welcome to the wonderful world of the AK-47.  I think you'll be OK, as I've read nothing but good things about Classic Arms.  I know they've had a recent change in ownership, so keep us informed about your experience.  If the front sight is straight will be a potential key indicator, since you specifically asked for them to check.  Some shops charge a "hand-select" fee for such requests.  If they took the time to pick out a nice one without charging, that's a good sign.  I've seen their combo package and it's a nice complete starter kit.  I wish it was availabe when I bought my first AK.  I ended up spending much more on a Lancaster G-kit, it's very nice... but came with no extras.  By the time I was done accesorizing (you're never really done), I had spent a small fortune.  

Keep us updated and post some pics.  Especially if there are any problems w/ the rifle.  I'm sure that Classic will take care of them if there are, but I'm just personally curious to see some actual photos of the problems that I've read about with WASR's in general.

Welcome again... but be warned.  AK's are like potato chips... one is never enough.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#4]
A certified Henderson Defense Wasr would have been a good alternative.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you did just fine for the money, and you gave a reputable upstanding business your money.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet. Its good to hear good things. I'll get some pics up and soon as I get it. Probably early next week.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
1st AK was from them, it is a great rifle, and good company.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got another WASR from them last week.  I got one of the WASR underfolders.  I have been wanting an underfolder for a while and this was a great opportunity.

I only paid $399 plus shipping ($15).  

I dealt with Gus and he was both nice and helpful.  I asked him to check for cant in gas tube and front site.  He also told me that they check all of them before sending them out.  He also reassured me that I had a 30 day return period if I were not satisfied with the rifle......what a deal!!!

The rifle was as represented.  No cant in tube or front site.  

I already had a yugo fixed stock (my first ak) and a fixed stock WASR.  I bought the Yugo first because it was so nice and I liked the idea of the thicker reciever for durability.  However, the difference in weight between the yugo and wasr is notable.  The yugo did have a nicer finish.  So, when choosing the underfolder I took both of these into consideration (as well as price).  I decided to go Romanian for the lighter weight (and it was $200 less than a yugo underfolder).  I was VERY pleasantly surprised when I opened the Romanian.  It is a 1968 and in fabulous shape.  The fit and finish are surprisingly good....much better than the fixed stock wasr I have (1975) and on par with the yugo.

I am trying to decide between the MI handguard and the Ultimak.  I would prefer the Ulitmak I think for the lower mounting posibilities and secure mount.  However, I am concerned about burning my hand because of the exposed tube.  I then want to add a microdot.  Ultimately, I want this to be my primary rifle.

Thumbs up to classic arms, CAI (for a good build), and my wife!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
While were on the subject, is there a way to check for canted front sight other than looking down the front of the rifle?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats, once you get one you'll be hungry for another AK.Welcome to the dark side
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
While were on the subject, is there a way to check for canted front sight other than looking down the front of the rifle?

Remove the lower HG and lay a good straight edge along the receiver. Measure the distance to the fsb. Repeat the procedure on the other side, making sure the straighr edge lays along the fsb in the same place. Compare the distances.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top