Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/31/2009 3:09:39 PM EDT
Hi,

I picked up a SLR-101s from a friend for $380. It looks like he cleaned it with a Solvent or carb/brake cleaner and took about 20% of the paint finish off and bubbled the rest on most of the gun.

What would a good place to send it to have it Re-Finished and what kind of Finish would you recommend and Cost$?

Thanks
Calvin
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Chris at AK-USA in Florida.  I have seen his work and it is really nice.  You get what you pay for!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The paint on the bulgarian guns is really poor.  It has worked to my advantage though, in refinishing several hundred magazine floorplates.  Instead of fighting each one with needle-nose pliers in the sandblaster - I just spend $12 on a gallon of lacquer thinner (alcohol also works, but same price and not as fast).  The finish washed right off, then I could string them all on a rod and blast 50 at a time, and repark them while still on the rod.  Still had to hold them individually to refinish with a good coating.

I have noticed after "washing" the crappy black paint off bulgarian guns that the metal underneath has no surface prep on it - some has a light park (without blasting first) and some is bare metal.

A real annoyance on an otherwise great rifle.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top