Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/16/2009 11:04:28 AM EDT
Just got into the hobby and have been bitten hard. Any opinions on where all the parts kits are?
Massive hoarding or just none around?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Several countries have been bard for more than a few years from importation, add to that the recent ATF ruling that barrels could no longer be imported intact, and then add the panic and just about all the parts kits have been eaten up, the left overs are predominantly Romanian kits with the barrels chopped for the same price as ones that had intact barrels.

If you want a good AK that is less expensive and that you invest a little time in, since it sounds like you were contemplating a build, I would suggest you get either a Saiga and do a conversion, or get one of the new $399 Yugo PAP's that have come in and do a parts swap and mag well open.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Google "barrel ban" and you'll have your answer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Several countries have been bard for more than a few years from importation, add to that the recent ATF ruling that barrels could no longer be imported intact, and then add the panic and just about all the parts kits have been eaten up, the left overs are predominantly Romanian kits with the barrels chopped for the same price as ones that had intact barrels.

If you want a good AK that is less expensive and that you invest a little time in, since it sounds like you were contemplating a build, I would suggest you get either a Saiga and do a conversion, or get one of the new $399 Yugo PAP's that have come in and do a parts swap and mag well open.

Thanks for telling me about the PAP.  I have a Saiga being delivered to my FFL this week.  For those interested, here is a link to another thread I found on the PAP.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=120162&page=1

Any Idea where I can find a new Yugo PAP (other than on Gunbroker)?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I understand that the importation of "non-sporting" barrels was curtailed in 2005, but I would assume that there would still be (post barrel ban) kits available without  barrels and Green Mountain barrels would be substituted.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that the importation of "non-sporting" barrels was curtailed in 2005, but I would assume that there would still be (post barrel ban) kits available without  barrels and Green Mountain barrels would be substituted.

There are some being supplied with GM barrels but I believe due to demand and back orders that those are mostly being bought up by outfits like Century.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for telling me about the PAP.  I have a Saiga being delivered to my FFL this week.  For those interested, here is a link to another thread I found on the PAP.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=120162&page=1

Any Idea where I can find a new Yugo PAP (other than on Gunbroker)?

Thanks.

Any dealer that is connected with any of the major US wholesalers can order you one, they are listed under European American Armory (EAA), just so you know dealer cost is between $300 and $320 depending on wholesaler. The average profit margin is about $100 so expect to pay about $399 like they are on GB,
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Importers don't want to invest in kits unless barrels are readily available.
Barrel makers won't make barrels in small lots for retail sales.
The barrel ban has effectively ended BIY AKs, just as the government intended.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top