Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2008 5:50:14 PM EDT
Sorry that the pictures suck.  These are the only pics I have:

There's a local guy selling this.  He posted an ad on craigslist and I managed to get an email out to him before they canned his post.  I don't think he knows what it is, and I sure don't know enough about AKs to be able to tell.

Here is what he says about it.

It has no markings other than:

MAO
7.62 x39  
0985 limited production year

He says that there are no import marks, manufacturer, location, etc...

He bought it from his boss, who says that he bought it new 3 years ago as a pre-ban Romanian AK47.

My understanding is that there are no pre-ban Romanian AKs.  It doesn't have the normal dimple above the mag well that I see on Romanian AKs, which makes me think it's a WASR-10.  But the lack of manufacturer or import markings is throwing me for a loop.

Might this be an early imported Chinese rifle?  I hear that there may have been some sterile Norinco AKs imported in the late 80's.

Any other ideas of what it could be?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I can see a fastener above the magwell which must be holding the lower rails in place, which means it was built from a flat or blank. It's too hard to tell from the pics, but I'd guess it was an 80% build which didn't have dimples - which is not legal to sell.

Bottom line, if there is not a serial number on the receiver, or an import marking and a serial number on the trunnion, it is not legal to sell or purchase. You'll have to inspect it in person to figure that out most likely if you're that interested. The seller sounds like a goober who wouldn't know the difference.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought you could sell home builds if you mark them
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Requirement is for manufacturers.  ATF recommends distinctive markings but they are not required for homebuilds.

I would be more worried about heat treat, functionality, etc. on this one, if it is from a flat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Requirement is for manufacturers.  ATF recommends distinctive markings but they are not required for homebuilds.

as long as it's an FTF transaction, sure.

get an FFL involved, and good luck with any kind of transfer.  if there's nothing to mark in their book, no licensed dealer with half a brain cell would touch it, and I personally don't blame 'em.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
no dimples....looks like an east german lower handguard....hmmm i bet its just a wasr....whats he asking for it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#6]
He's asking $400.

The thing that really throws me is the MAO and apparent lack of other markings.  I've been trying to get better pictures and info out of him for 4 days, but he seems as computer ignorant as gun ignorant.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Beware of Craigslist. I had a buddy get hit for about 350 bucks. I'm a firm believer of if it is too good to be true, it probably is. my $.02
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm a firm believer of if it is too good to be true, it probably is. my $.02

Except for that 1500 rnds of Wolf 7.62x39 I just picked up for $60...

CXS
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You can.....

You can't build them with the INTENT to sell them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Definitely NOT Chinese, the trunnion rivet pattern in your pics shows a Euro pattern. My guess is a cheesed-out, non-dimpled WASR as the others have suggested.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Definitely NOT Chinese, the trunnion rivet pattern in your pics shows a Euro pattern. My guess is a cheesed-out, non-dimpled WASR as the others have suggested.

+1

wasr with cheap east german furniture.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can.....

So what is the actual requirement if you decide to let go of one of your homebuilds?

It seems like I had read that you must stamp or engrave your name, date, location and a serial# - is that right? Also it seems like I'd read that you could use your name OR other well known identifier (could this be something like your commonly used screen name?).
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can.....

So what is the actual requirement if you decide to let go of one of your homebuilds?

It seems like I had read that you must stamp or engrave your name, date, location and a serial# - is that right? Also it seems like I'd read that you could use your name OR other well known identifier (could this be something like your commonly used screen name?).
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can.....

I don't think that legally you have to do anything.

Just don't get into the habit of doing it often, because it IS illegal to do a homebuild with the intention of selling them.

found your problem

this is covered on the BATFE's web site, I suggest you read it.

name date address, and an "optional" (but highly recomended) serial number of your own choosing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the help, people.  The seller has stopped answering my questions now that I asked about the possibility of it being a home built.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe that is the "Prison Ass Sex" series- very limited production run.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I believe that is the "Prison Ass Sex" series- very limited production run.

I want one!!!

CXS
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#20]
You don't need to engrave anything, unless you're a licensed manufacturer / importer, or you're making an NFA weapon.

27 CFR 478.92
27 CFR 479.102
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Correct. No markings REQUIRED on home-built firearms unless it is NFA.

As for other possibilities, it possibly could be a Romanian without the dimples. I have a Romak II (which has dimples) on which all import markings other than the serial number are located on the rear sight base. The serial number is on the trunion which is considered a 'permanant' part of the receiver since it physically contains the serial number. There is not one mark on the sheetmetal part of the receiver.

If you replace the 'barrel et al' or just the rear sight base on this model Romanian AK, you effectively remove all markings except the serial number - which is perfectly legal on an INDIVIDUALLY-owned firearm. Under federal law, you can remove all markings except the serial number.

FYI - If your trunion has the serial number, you cannot replace the trunion without using the method employed for converting an HK91 to a beltfed 21... which is unrealistic for such an inexpensive firearm.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]

It is a Chinese rifle.  Didn't you see it says Mao???
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:18:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks like a home-build, or a WASR dressed up with foreign parts.  The upper handguard looks Chinese, the lower handguard looks East German.  The pistol grip looks American.  I can't place the stock or muzzle device.  

That rifle might not be 922R compliant.  I'd avoid if I were you.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top