Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2008 2:42:05 PM EDT
I picked up a new SSR 85C at the gun show today. It's the same model that Atlantic is selling but with Poly furniture instead of wood.

When I got home I read the negative threads about the SSR 85C and thought I'd post an update about these new ones. Years ago I had an Armory SSR85C that was trouble from the word go. I think these might be a bit different.

The receiver is marked "ISD BULGARIA LTD, Made in Bulgaria" on the right side. On the bottom is stamped with an importer mark, "TGI Knox TN, SSR85C, 7.62x39". It DOES NOT say Armory USA on it anywhere.

All the numbers are matching, receiver, top cover, bolt, carrier, barrel, etc. It does appear to be a fully imported rifle that was low cap and then had the mag well opened up upon arrival. I should note too, that the work on the magwell was top notch. Nice tight fit, no wobble. The muzzle is threaded and has a removeable US made slant brake. It came with US Poly furniture which I've replaced w/ E. German (Tapco G2 Double hook to make up for the parts). Chrome lined bore, parkerized finish. AK style front sight, 800m rear sight, gas tube and top cover with double hook trigger. All parts are brand new and according to Atlantic's site are not built from parts kits. The receiver is the heavier 1.6mm material. 922r compliance parts would be stock, handguards, pistol grip, slant brake, and US made magazine. Everything is straight, nothing binds and the action is very smooth.

I'll take it to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots. I've completely stripped it down and I gotta say that it looks pretty damn good right now. Much much better than a WASR or even a SAR.

Took it to the range today for a spin. Fired 60 rounds and had one failure to eject. I'm going to blame that one on me for not shouldering it properly. The rifle functioned fine. Slight windage adjustment was necessary but not much. The extra weight was nice, especially with the wire stock.

Fired two 20 round groups at 50 yards from sandbags. Wolf hollow points and a pretty windy day.
I plotted the two targets using RSI ballistic software to come up with the following.
Target #1
20 shots @ 50 yards:
Max Spread 5.01"
Average Group Radius: 1.36"

Target #2
20 shots @ 50 yards:
Max Spread 5.50"
Average Group Radius 1.31"

Basically, I think this rifle is as good if not better than many AK's out there. I might not buy one sight unseen, but I wouldn't shy away from it if you happen to run across one in person.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Scooter,

Great looking rifle! You went down to Pasadena today? I was there too, ended up dropping of my NDM86 to get refinished since I bumped into a booth there that could help me out. Did you get the SSR from the Hector at Elk River Tool and Die?

He had about 8 really nice x39's bulgarians with blonde wood and some nice Tantal's too, his booth looked the only place that had anything different than the usual WASR crapola.

And on a crappy note I'll be going back tomorrow because one of the cheapo flashlights I bought has a bad bulb.

Z
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope. Big Town in Mesquite. Bought this rifle from Military Gun Supply.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nope. Big Town in Mesquite. Bought this rifle from Military Gun Supply.

I bought mine from them back in March. It's an awesome rifle. However, I cannot get the furniture to budge. Any tips?

I went to Big Town today as well. I wanted to trade my Sig P229R .40S&W and a couple of dealers offered me $350.

Anyway, I ended up trading my P229R w/ 3 mags for an older, 100% German P226 9mm w/ 2 mags.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
What's interesting is you say it has a threaded and removable break. The older ones didn't have their threads turned. Mine has all the same markings, except from your picture -- the receiver dimples are different.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What's interesting is you say it has a threaded and removable break. The older ones didn't have their threads turned. Mine has all the same markings, except from your picture -- the receiver dimples are different.

Correct, the muzzle is threaded and the slant brake is not welded on. I suspect the importer TGI has asked the factory in Bulgaria to make some changes, because this sure seems to be a much better rifle than some of the older Armory USA guns.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, the muzzle is threaded and the slant brake is not welded on. I suspect the importer TGI has asked the factory in Bulgaria to make some changes, because this sure seems to be a much better rifle than some of the older Armory USA guns.

Damn, if only if I had waited a bit longer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#7]
So how much did it set you back?

It is nice to know the barrel is threaded, maybe I will look into them if the price is right.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
Fired 60 rounds and had one failure to eject. I'm going to blame that one on me for not shouldering it properly.

Can you explain that for me?  How would not shouldering properly cause an ejection problem?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fired 60 rounds and had one failure to eject. I'm going to blame that one on me for not shouldering it properly.

Can you explain that for me?  How would not shouldering properly cause an ejection problem?

Well, its speculation...but kind of like limp wristing a pistol. The rifle was resting on a sandbag. I was seated and holding the rifle by the pistol grip and probably not pulling it tight enough to my shoulder to provide resistance. I was not holding the handguards or magazine. I fired the rifle, and the spent case did not fully eject. It got turned around 180 degrees sticking between the top cover and the rear of the ejector at an angle, thus preventing the bolt carrier from fully chambering the next round. Happened once. From that point forward, I firmly held the rifle and had no issues at all.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The AK is gas operated, it should fire no matter how you hold it. Pistols are recoil operated/blowback.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top