Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:49:33 AM EDT
Thinking about trading the Mini-30 for an AK.  Are most AKs (7.62x39) similar in accuracy to a Mini-30?  (My assumption is that the Mini-30 is slightly more accurate than an AK until the barrels get hot and then the AK is more accurate.)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on which one was built better.  

You can crank out some pretty good accuracy out to 200 or so from an AK.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#2]
If I was concerned with accuracy that much, I would not pick an ak or a mini 30, but I would guess that the mini 30 is more accurate than your average ak47.    I would go the SKS route, or the ak74route.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd get the AK, just because parts/mags are dirt cheap and widely available.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#4]
My Mini-30 shoots the same size groups as my AK. Unfortunately, the only totally reliable mags for my Mini are the factory 5-rounder and the Promag 10-rounders. Nothing else has been reliable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

huge +1
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Fuck a Mini -30.

The only thing mine had going for it was that the scope mounted to the receiver.

It patterned rather than grouped. Go AK, or go home.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fuck a Mini -30.

The only thing mine had going for it was that the scope mounted to the receiver.

It patterned rather than grouped. Go AK, or go home.

Danny

+1

My Mini-30 sucked ass for years. Always had a problem with the mags. Even factory.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I would only do a Mini 30 if I lived in a commie state like California where non-neutered AK's are banned.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
trade that mini 30 for an AK
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
trade that mini 30 for an AK

Anything but a WASR.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I own a GordonTech SLR100H, 2 Polish PMKMS underfolders and a stainless Mini Thirty.
The Mini Thirty shoots on par with the best that I can do with any of my AKs.  All of them do best when using good brass cased ammo.  I believe the accuracy of all of them could also be improved with either better iron sights or good optics.  But, these rifles are what they are and I'm OK with that.  Actually I'm completely satisfied with their accuracy just the way they are, but that's me.  I like the much cheaper steel cased ammo and that is what I feed them.  It all depends on what type of accuracy you will accept.  I am alright with the issue sights on the AKs, but I did upgrade the Mini Thirty rear sight to an Ashley peep sight.  It is not adjustable for windage and elevation without a screw driver (little tiny screw driver with little tiny screws).  Not something that can be adjusted in a hurry in the field. What you can do with it quickly is unscrew the small aperture, which leaves you with a very large aperture.  This works well for close range quick shots.  The stock Ruger rear sight broke shortly after I owned the rifle.  It was a bad design and I would not put another Ruger sight of the same
design on the rifle even if it were free under warranty.  Now to the magazines.  Ak mags are built like tanks and once tested can be relied on with great confidence.  The Mini Thirty is another story.  It's totally reliable with the factory 5 round mags.  I have probably tried a half dozen USA mags when I first got the rifle years ago.  All except for one stainless twenty rounder are junk.  That stainless mag has always worked flawlessly.  The rest are paper weights.  I'm sure some people have had better luck in this area, but it is hit or miss at best with most high cap mags.  Years ago, I was also lucky enough to come across some Thermold expandable 30-45 round Mini Thirty mags and bought several of them when the price was semi realistic, like $30 a piece (still high in comparison with AK mags).  These mags are totally reliable and durable.  I have a sturdy side folding stock on my Mini and also have a synthetic sporter stock.  With the side folding stock, the peep sight upgrade and the Thermolds, the Mini is a handy, reliable and an acceptably accurate rifle for me.  If I what to hunt with it, I can switch back to the synthetic sporter stock, throw a scope on it and it's good to go.  I wouldn't sell my Mini, but then again I don't sell many firearms.  If I wanted an assault weapon and I had to either keep a stock Mini Thirty to fill that role or trade it for a good AK, I would trade it.  The AK was built for that role, the Mini Thirty was not.  The way my Mini is set up, it is reliable, durable and it could fill the assault weapon role nicely, but it took mag experimentation and add ons, all costing money that could otherwise be spent on ammo and practice with an AK.  The stock Mini Thirty trigger is probably a little better than the AKs.  It's heavy, but smooth.  Another thing to consider, is that Ruger spare parts are just not available.  It's a trip back to Ruger to get it fixed, but the Mini is also a very sturdy weapon and doesn't have many parts go down, although I'm sure it does happen.  For what it's worth, new shooters who I've taken to the range shoot the Mini Thirty much better than they shoot the AKs initially.  I have not seen groups get rediculously larger when my Mini Thirty gets hot.  Larger, yes, but not anything terrible.  I have heard that the stainless models are not as affected by that.  Probably more info than you wanted or needed, but there it is.  Good luck on your dicision.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anything but a WASR.

Or even a WASR since they work as well as other AKs and cost less
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

huge +1

Still more +1
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#16]
My min-30 sucked hard.  Got rid of it and got an AK.  I still have some mini-14s and I think they would be a better alternative if you wanted a mini.  Their mags can be a problem/
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Anything but a WASR.

EXTREMELY HUGE+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a stainless mini-30, got rid of it. Once the barrel got hot, that did not take much, groups got HUGE!

I did exactly what you are thinking – traded in the mini-30 took the $ and put it toward an AK.  

I got an Arsenal SAM 7, it is far more accurate.

Additionally, my mini-30 had trouble making Wolf ammo go bang…10-15% would FTF, big dent in primer, no boom!

I got some Fed (AE) it all want bang but groups were still huge once barrel got hot.

Do it you want regret it – this is a first hand account. Did I mention I have not had one FTF with the Arsenal.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#19]
i own a mini 14 and the only reason is that is was my grandpa's. he loved it and i love to plink with it. but that is it. if it wasnt my grandpa's I wouldnt own one. they are very reliable if you use the right mags. also parts hard to find unless you send it in to them and they are finiky with mags. Mine only works with factory mags or the out of production PMI. AK all the way. or sks. one good thing with the mini, they were built on the reliable garand, m1 carbine, and m14.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top