Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 9:00:53 AM EDT
I happen to be a lefty, and have a Vector Underfolder.  

Is it possible to switch the rear sling swivel/button, etc. to the opposite side?  If so, is that something I can do myself, or am I best off farming it out?

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm a noob when it comes to AKs... I only have one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I happen to be a lefty, and have a Vector Underfolder.  

Is it possible to switch the rear sling swivel/button, etc. to the opposite side?  If so, is that something I can do myself, or am I best off farming it out?

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm a noob when it comes to AKs... I only have one.

I am a left-handed shooter and have looked into this also.  It would require modifying the receiver but could be done....just not something I'm willing to undertake with a drimel.  Contact a reputable AK gunsmith.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a slot machined INSIDE the stock block. I don't see how that can be accomplished with the block in the receiver (but then I'm not a 'smith or a machinist). good luck and let us know if you do it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
No disrespect intended, would it be worth the hassle?

Just curious.  If you've commited your current operation of folding/unfolding the stock, wouldnt changing it not make things more confusing?  That is... if you already own an UF.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just curious.  If you've commited your current operation of folding/unfolding the stock, wouldnt changing it not make things more confusing?  That is... if you already own an UF.  

I'm left handed. If it was feasible to change the sling loop and button from left to right, it would be worth it.
If you try to sling the rifle on the left side of your body, it hangs horizontally from the sling.
The underfolder button was designed to be operated with the right thumb. That's hard to do when you're holding the pistol grip with the left hand.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm left handed. If it was feasible to change the sling loop and button from left to right, it would be worth it.
If you try to sling the rifle on the left side of your body, it hangs horizontally from the sling.
The underfolder button was designed to be operated with the right thumb. That's hard to do when you're holding the pistol grip with the left hand.

What he said.  If it can be done, it would be worth it to me.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
home.earthlink.net/~mwsjb/AKbuild3.htm

I just disassembled my underfolder kit, and it looks to me like you can reassemble it for lefty use. The above link shows righty installation.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
home.earthlink.net/~mwsjb/AKbuild3.htm

I just disassembled my underfolder kit, and it looks to me like you can reassemble it for lefty use. The above link shows righty installation.

Where are you going to put the pin that sits in the slot on the inside of the right side of the stock block?
That is what prevents the whole tube from turning, so you can't leave it out, and there's no slot on the left side for the pin to fit in.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, but that could be drilled. I'll have to study that a while before deciding. That should be doable with the receiver on. There are also 2 slots cut in the receiver on the right side that are not on the left.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There are also 2 slots cut in the receiver on the right side that are not on the left.

I think you have discovered the slot in the stock block to which I've been refering. I don't see how that slot could be machined with the stock block installed in the sheet metal part of the receiver, but again I'm not a 'smith or a machinist. If you do it or have it done, please post pics.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]
In Russia...everyone is right handed
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top