AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2007 3:55:45 AM EDT
I am considering purchasing a tapco side folding
stock for my AK. Does any one have any opinion
or experience with these?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
They are well designed but constructed with wrong material in my opinion.  The hinge mechansim is plastic.  It will flex.  

In contrast, ACE hinge is aluminum and solid.

Typically, you will see the price $65.00 or so.  I bought 4 from a member here (I think his name is rtbh or something) for like less than $40.00 shipped.

I modified the attachment part so the stock angle is straighter and closer to the grip.

Edited to Add:
In Before All TAPCO haters.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I had 2 of them and did not like them as much as I had hoped I would.  They locked up well, but they were floppy when folded.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I choose the T6 Tapco AK stock (M4 style) because I had heard of similar quality issues with the side folders plastice hinge.  Also, I didn't like the fact that the stock folds to the ejection port side of the weapon, making the grip on the pistol grip akward.  I absolutly love the T6, the only problem is that it rattles a bit, but its not unbearble, espeically for the type of shooting I do with it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am considering purchasing a tapco side folding
stock for my AK. Does any one have any opinion
or experience with these?

They are garbage. If you want a good, cheap side folding stock get a Romainian or East German sidefolder.
2/3 down the page on the left.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Stick with an ACE I ended up going to it after buying the tapco they make good triggers and ak parts but my furniture and stock was a total loss after a little abuse.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
They suck.  Don't get one, you'll regret it.  Get an Ace folder and a cut the tang receiver mount.  If you're not into the mild gunsmithing that will take, get a Romanian wire-folder for $50...built like a tank.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Local range had on eon an AK, and it became loose from being put on/off the shelf daily. the hinge pin finally broke. I think they finally made a metal pin in it, but it still feels flimsy.

Plus, just personal for me, the length of pull was too long. I prefer the Warsaw length stocks.

I just recently bought a Romanian Wire Folder. yes, it looks ugly at first, but it has grown on me. It locks up very solid and does the job well.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top