Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/29/2004 7:44:22 PM EDT
    When I first received my PK-AS earlier this year I tried using it w/my *left* eye as Tantal told me it was designed for. On a std buttstock this made for both uncomfortable & unnatural head positioning for me. Using my right eye (and getting no cheekweld at all) worked surprisingly well but w/little sight picture stability due to the lack of cheekweld.
Well....
    I now have a Romy folder on my AK (fixed open until 9/14) and when used w/the PK-AS, lo & behold I now have a good cheekweld & near-perfect eye relief/positioning w/the PK-AS when using my left eye!
    Interesting how combining these two items (Romy folder & PK-AS) has seemingly cancelled out their 2 most glaring problems (ie: no cheekweld w/the Romy folder & difficult left-eye use w/the PK-AS).
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure if I buy Tantal's left eye theory.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not sure if I buy Tantal's left eye theory.

And why is that? Do you have hard data indicating otherwise? I asked him about the left-eye usage and was told he had read about it in a Russian small-arms article. Sure, using the left eye seems to go against Western training but Tantal's probably forgotten more about ComBloc optics than we'll ever know and I have no reason to doubt him. You could be right but I'd like to see some facts backing up your claim.
Tomac
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing that the scope is offset because a soldier with body armor and load bearing equipment can't get the butt of the rifle into his shoulder pocket between his deltoid and pectoral muscles. The butt is out on his upper arm between his deltoid and bicep.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else experience this with a romy folder and pk-as?? Sounds like it would be a great combo for those of us that have better vision in their left eye like me :)

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
After more experimentation I'm now convinced that the PK-AS *is* designed to be used w/the left eye. Ex: I set up 10 bowling pins in a fan shape from 10m to 40m out (approximates engaging torso sized targets from 50m to 200m, not exactly CQB ranges). I had a friend time me and using my left eye I dropped all 10 pins in 14 seconds w/17 shots fired. Works for me!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you having to close your right eye?

Most right handed people are right eye dominant. I have to close my right eye when shooting from my left shoulder.

I'm interested in the scope for my SAM-7s. I've seen this scope with two different mounts. One offset and one centered. I'm still holding on to the theory that the offset was designed for soldiers with gear (helmet, load bearing and ballistic vest) that won't allow them to get a standard cheekweld. I've also seen Russian SKS mounts offset like this to allow the use of stripper clips.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are you having to close your right eye?

Most right handed people are right eye dominant. I have to close my right eye when shooting from my left shoulder.

I'm interested in the scope for my SAM-7s. I've seen this scope with two different mounts. One offset and one centered. I'm still holding on to the theory that the offset was designed for soldiers with gear (helmet, load bearing and ballistic vest) that won't allow them to get a standard cheekweld. I've also seen Russian SKS mounts offset like this to allow the use of stripper clips.

Nope, I keep both eyes open when using the PK-AS w/my left eye, gives very good SA. I can use the PK-AS w/my right eye w/good results but with nowhere near the stability that I get when using my left eye w/good cheekweld on the Romy folder.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The Left eye idea is logical if you consider that a right eye dominant individual, shooting right handed, has an unobstructed view of his target with the dominant eye. No outline of the optic is in the way. Seems like a very good idea in terms of target aquisition similar (in a primitive way) to a "heads up display". Unfortunately I shoot left handed so I can't get the effect as well. Tomac gave me the idea of using the romy side folder with the PK-AS which works great with the left eye even from the "wrong side of the stock" ( it doesn't work as well with a fixed stock for a left hander). In my case my right eye has an open view, so to speak, of the target with the left eye sort of ghosting the dot over the target. For a right hander, who is right eye dominant, The PK-AS employed in this manner shoot be a most effective CQB sight. Definitely seems designed for a narrow stock -- some type of folder.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top