Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/5/2010 12:29:01 PM EDT
I bought a UTG quick release side rail and a cheap Sightmark Reflex Red Dot for my WASR GP 10/63 at the beginning of this year right after I bought the rifle.  Since then the glass in the sight has broken and I obviously wasn't too impressed with the sight itself anyway.  When the brightness dialed all the way up I couldn't make out the dot on sunny day at all.  The only way that I could even make out where I was shooting is if I used the cross hair with dot in the middle.

I've asked this question before and was recommended to get an Aimpoint or EOTech, but I'm looking for a replacement sight that would be under $100.  I really don't shoot much at all.  In fact I haven't shot since April.  I'm open to any style that you guys might recommend but please let's try to keep it under $100.  I know people are going to say that it's not uncommon for optics to cost as much as the rifle itself but let's refrain some such posts as it won't be productive.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with that mount, but I've been happy with the Aimpoint clone I purchased from Primary Arms.  It doesn't feel as robust as my Aimpoint, but it was 1/4 of the price.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
All Sightmark products bought in the US have a Limited Lifetime

send the POS back and when returned to u use on a .22 cal
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Cabelas has the trs-25 on sale right now for 89.99 its regularly 179 or something.  I bought one and an ultimak this afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Cabelas has the trs-25 on sale right now for 89.99 its regularly 179 or something.  I bought one and an ultimak this afternoon.

Excellent combo, you'll like it.  The TRS-25 is a very good MRD for the money.  My TRS-25/Ultimak combo:

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope so, mine is going on a 74.  I don't really like how they look (the ultimak/sight) to be honest, but I feel its more important for me to able to use the rifle closer to its potential lol.  It just seemed 89.99 was to good a price for me to pass up and the c&r discount took off like 20 at brownells on the ultimak.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a fan of Primary Arms as well. I own both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 micro red dots offered by them. While they are not aimpoints , for the price they are fantastic.Great company to do business with. I highly recommend checking them out.
Ive always been curious to how the TRS and PA micros compare so since they are on sale i went ahead and ordered one to try out on a new rifle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushnell TRD-25 or Primary arms.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not familiar with that mount, but I've been happy with the Aimpoint clone I purchased from Primary Arms.  It doesn't feel as robust as my Aimpoint, but it was 1/4 of the price.

My rail is a standard side rail but has the quick release lever...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619qzfiT6yL.jpg

The bushnell isn't designed specifically for forward mounting is it since mine will be right above the dust cover?  Sorry I'm a n00b.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bushnell isn't designed specifically for forward mounting is it since mine will be right above the dust cover?  Sorry I'm a n00b.

Non Magnified Red Dot Sights will work at just about any eye relief. Your mount will work with a RDS.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case, I'd get the Primary Arms Micro Dot clone for $80.  It's about as low as you'll get with that kind of setup.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 It just seemed 89.99 was to good a price for me to pass up and the c&r discount took off like 20 at brownells on the ultimak.

Argh...........you just had to mention the C&R discount at brownells.  Just ordred the TRS@ cabellas and a UIti@brownells. Now the wait until these show up for duty on the SGL31

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Both of mine are supposed be delivered tomorrow.  Now I just hope the ups guy doesnt just leave it outside its supposed to rain.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I went ahead and purchased the Bushnell TRS-25 from Cabela's.  I decided on it because it was a little cheaper and I can do free site to store shipping since I have a Cabela's in my area.  The real kicker is it will be easy to return if I'm not impressed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I received my TRS this past friday. I was liking it until i tried to mount it. The supplied mounting screw stripped out using the included tiny allen wrench when mounting. I did not roid-rage tighten it either, it was just getting firm to where you would feel it make contact and tighten up, and that was it. I would simply have Bushnell send me another screw or find one at the home depot but that was not the only problem. The elevation turret has no audible or tactile clicks what so ever. Windage turret works as it should. I guess i just got a dud. Its going back to Cabelas.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I was very happy with the ultimak and the trs-25.  Above poster are you sure there were no clicks?  Mine had clicks but they were very small, and they did not make a noise but I could easily feel them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool little optic, Marsh.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
These just arrived today!!!!

Marshall

Our new Gen 7 Micro Dot with ultra low base and side mounted LED gives perfect cowitness with the Ultimak rail

■ Ultra sharp 3 MOA dot
■ 11 brightness settings. Visible in bright sunlight
■ The front glass is coated and angled to prevent glare
■ Waterproof
■ One year exchange warranty
■ Bikini covers included
■ Extended battery life
■ LED at the 4:30 position provides enhanced cowitness
■ Only weighs 4.5oz
■ This is the perfect red dot to mount on a AK with the Ultimak rail. Low enough to allow cowitness. Use the drop down menu on the Micro page for your discounted Ultimak bundle.

$79.99 for the Micro alone $154.99 with M1B or M2B. Other Ultimak options also available. Use the drop down menue on the Micro Dot page to build your bundle.

LINK

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/MDgen7.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/Gen7LED.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Web%20photos/Gen7bare.jpg

D'oh!  Where was this last week when I ordered my Ultimak?

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
ak+ optic=fail
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like the Gen 7 is replacing the Gen 1?  Which battery type is this model using?  What is the estimated battery life?

Thinking I'm going to have to order one of these.  I've been patiently waiting for several weeks now, hoping the Gen 1's would be offered again.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, Marshall.  I'm trying my best to sell the wifey on this one :)
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered that PA micro7/ultimak combo.  I'll mount it on my SA-M7 and report back after the range trip.  
I gave up on the Cabelas TRS25 deal since they've been out of stock for some time.  I might try to hit the store near me in a couple days to buy one on backorder for the $79 deal they have going.  I'm guessing I could have a head-head comparison in a month or 2.  I'll throw the loser on the FN SLP since it looks like the rail height is comparable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ak+ optic=fail

Your mouth + open = fail.

No one knew you were an idiot 'til you said something.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Well my mind is made up. One more decision for project AK done and final.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't know about that gas tube mount seems like it would get hot and damage the optic.I am going to get the Prmary Arms Gen7 Micro Dot but
this scope mount from KVAR that will attach to my side mounts on my WASR 10-63...
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16166&cat=381&page=1
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#28]
You will not be even close to cowitness with that mount.  The Ultimak allows a very nice cowitness with the micro dot type optics.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't know about that gas tube mount seems like it would get hot and damage the optic.

The optics are more resilient than you might believe.  I have a Bushnell TRS-25 mounted on an Ultimak.  This past Friday I had the TRS hot enough to fry an egg and it never missed a beat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey Marsh will that Ultimak setup fit my Bulgarian 74 ?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You will not be even close to cowitness with that mount.  The Ultimak allows a very nice cowitness with the micro dot type optics.

I would not be concerned with cowitness since the scope mount is a QD..If the optic fails you can quickly take the mount off to transition to ironsights.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#32]
It's not an issue with removing the optic to use the irons - it is a training issue that you fire the gun differently with your head in different places.  
If you have cowitnessed irons you hold the gun and your body in the same position no matter if you are using the irons or your optic of choice.  
This is crucial to prevent problems when switching between the two.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's not an issue with removing the optic to use the irons - it is a training issue that you fire the gun differently with your head in different places.  
If you have cowitnessed irons you hold the gun and your body in the same position no matter if you are using the irons or your optic of choice.  
This is crucial to prevent problems when switching between the two.

Well at any rate my newly aquired AK is for fun...my decked out AR15's have all the bells and whistles...They would be go to weapons for SHTF.
My AR15's Pic
I ordered the Mount and a Primary Arms Red Dot for my WASR....

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top