Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 1:08:53 PM EDT
Hi,

Are most of the imported, metallic AK (7.62x39) mags available in the USA used or new? From what I've read and seen here it appears than many of the AK mags are second-or-third-hand and/or rusty and/or beat-up.

What's the deal? Are the commercially available (within the USA) AK mags just imported from the "used bins" of foreign armies, or what? Is this why they seem to be so inexpensive, compared to all the new mags available for AR-15's?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I have not found much info in regards to the availability of new-ish metallic AK (7.62x39) mags.

Thanks in advance,
AE
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#1]
since noone else seems to want to, i'll chime in. yes more than likely if you buy a metal magazine, it will be used. however, some places do sell new ones, still in the wrapper, but the majority are used. i just got a set from centerfire systems that were used romy 30-rounders, and they were a little rusty but nothing to keep them from functioning. this is the usual case, unless they tell you otherwise.

don't buy U.S. made magazines. just don't.

even most of the polymer mags will be used, but i dont know, i havent bought any myself.

good luck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
don't buy U.S. made magazines. just don't.

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems to me like the used mags hit the market as soon as the ban ran out. Bought many unissued 30s from Interordnance up until that time. Strange.Madtechcool
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Especially stay away from the US 75 round magazines, they're absolute crap, right out of the box even.
www.weaponforums.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=55&t=83389
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Especially stay away from the US 75 round magazines, they're absolute crap, right out of the box even.
www.weaponforums.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=55&t=83389

i agree. ive never used one, but just looking at those (and i think USA brand magazines) makes me feel uneasy. they're all spot welded together like  the SKS duckbill mags. bleh. seeing that way my duckbill mag was put together (not even straight!!) i wouldnt bother with anything that wasnt euro/chicom military.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#6]
KVAR occasionally has the new Romanian Waffle mags, new, but they're pricey. They also sometimes need a little fitting with a file to fit right. But they're 3oz lighter than standard mags.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top