Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:33:01 AM EDT
I bought 12 mags just recently, and I would like to refinish them as some have some rust marks and others are fairly beat up...
My question is this, I have access to get them anodized, however I would like them all ready for that process when I bring them to my buddy who can do that for me.
I have a bead/sand blaster as well as a parts washer, or some alcohol I could wipe them down with.
What would be the best route to go? Bead blast it, parts wash it and wipe down thoroughly before taking it to get anodized?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I bought 12 mags just recently, and I would like to refinish them as some have some rust marks and others are fairly beat up...
My question is this, I have access to get them anodized

AK mags are steel.  Steel does not anodize.  You parkerize steel, anodize aluminum.

, however I would like them all ready for that process when I bring them to my buddy who can do that for me.
I have a bead/sand blaster as well as a parts washer, or some alcohol I could wipe them down with.
What would be the best route to go? Bead blast it, parts wash it and wipe down thoroughly before taking it to get anodized?

For steel to prep for park - disassemble, bead blast to remove all old paint/park/rust, then blow all traces of blast media with dry compressed air.  Handle with gloves to keep your skin oils off the metal surface, and park asap, because they will begin surface rusting due to humidity in the air.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I had some used ak mags that I redid. At first I was going to hot blue them but I figured why waste all my time and effort on used ak mags. So what I did as suggested by another member here was to take apart the mag, clean up all rust spots then degrease the mags. I spayed painted them flat black, let them dry and baked them in a oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour.They came out looking new and the finished held up good. I do not know if the baking help or not. Next time I will bake one and just let one air dry. Mark which one is which and use these 2 mags as range mags to see which one holds up better.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
How well did it hold up? Take alot of abuse or scratch off?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had some used ak mags that I redid. At first I was going to hot blue them but I figured why waste all my time and effort on used ak mags. So what I did as suggested by another member here was to take apart the mag, clean up all rust spots then degrease the mags. I spayed painted them flat black, let them dry and baked them in a oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour.They came out looking new and the finished held up good. I do not know if the baking help or not. Next time I will bake one and just let one air dry. Mark which one is which and use these 2 mags as range mags to see which one holds up better.

What kind of paint did you use?
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top