Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2002 4:16:10 AM EDT
Are these worth buying? I just wondered if I should stay with the steel mags. Has anyone had theirs crack or melt?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The Bulgarian polymer mags are the best available for the AK; if you can find them.  I would be more worried about the steel mags rusting than the polymer mags melting.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know whether or not JOEKEN received the shipment of polymer/bakelite mags.  I'm on the list, but I haven't heard anything.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The Bulgarian mags seem to fit into the mag well a little smother. They are a bit lighter too, but not that you would notice on a fuly loaded rifle.

I have over 100 steel mags, and 75 polymer mags.  I have had 1 of each go bad.All the heat generated by the rifle is well forward of the mag. well so heat build up should not be an issue. If it is, the hand guards would be to hot to hold before you got to that point.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Poly and bakelight AK mags are real tough. Now some AR mags may have given you cause for concern. Some Izzy Orlites have brittle feedlips from desert FA use. And Canadian Thermolds did not have the Zytel fiber stuff in them that the US mfg had, so they became Thermelts. No problems with US Thermolds in my AR either (can't bend the feedlips :)
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top