Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2006 3:47:24 AM EDT
Is Belgium 7.62 x 39 in 200 rd battle packs corrosive? I recall that there was some question as to what date-stamps were and what were not.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW...

I've heard this ammo described as Portugese, Iranian and, Yugoslavian.....  

I doubt seriously this is Belgian ammunition. The only genuine Belgian made 7.62x39mm I know of is only in cartridge collections. To my knowledge, no Belgian made 7.62x39 ammo was ever imported in shooting quantities.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe it has been determined that the mystery battle pack ammo of disputed origin is actually, contrary to original reports, somewhat corrosive.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
it is finnish ammo lapua
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
FWIW...

I've heard this ammo described as Portugese, Iranian and, Yugoslavian.....  

I doubt seriously this is Belgian ammunition. The only genuine Belgian made 7.62x39mm I know of is only in cartridge collections. To my knowledge, no Belgian made 7.62x39 ammo was ever imported in shooting quantities.

I have 500rds of Belgian 7.62x39 in my possession.  If it has collector value, what is it worth?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
It was quite common for NATO members and allies to manufacture Warsaw ammunition, especially West Germany who developed and issued weapons/conversion kits in 7.62x39.
I have a few examples of Western European 7.62x39 from Belgium, Spain, Portugal, West Germany and England. The MOD 7.62x39 from England is probably the rarest and coolest IMO.
This ammo typically looks similar to 7.62x51 but shorter and is brass cased and marked with the NATO cross. Sterilized ammo was used/manufactured initially as 7.62x39 was difficult to come by in large enough quantities but this is extremely rare. I have one box of sterile 7.62x39 made for the DoD in the 60's which is brass cased and reads 7.62x39 in black letters on a white box, thats it. This sterilized ammo is impossibly rare and is similar to WWB 7.62x39 but has

absolutely no markings. Russia made both 5.56 and 7.62 NATO for the same reason. I have two boxes of Soviet 5.56 made during the mid 1970s which has 5.56 on the box and som cryllic writing and a lot number/date code. Its identical to older Wolf 55grn FMJ.I have heard rumours that the United States manufactured clones of M74 ammo during the mid to early 70's. During the early 70's, the USSR was very tight lipped about 5.45x39 and weapons/ammo were nearly impossible to divert. It wasn't until Afghanistan that this ammo was availible for diversion/testing. Supposidly, we weren't able to steal enough to adequatly test the weapon/ammo so we manufactured our own, on the down low. I have seen a picture of a brass cased 5.45x39 round, but never handled one. Before the wall fell, Soviet ammo was difficult to obtain in sizable quanities for testing/use so countries made thier own. Now that the cold war is "over"7.62x39 is widely availible and domestic manufacture isn't necessary. These stocks are old and have eiether been used or surplused. If you see "milspec" type ammo made by a Western European nation, its a safe bet it was made for this reason. Im not sure about a monatary value, probably whatever someone will pay for it. I collect ammunition, especially weird stuff....so someone like me may pay 20.00 for a box of 20-50 NATO 7.62x39 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#6]
In my brief research online in reguards to this ammo, it was thought to be from Iran as stated in one of the above replys.  At a recent gunshow, a guy was selling this ammo in the 200rd battle packs for $35, so I bought two packs.  I would be useing this ammo to feed a CZ 527 Carbine I picked up a couple weeks ago.

I am interested in hearing from those of you who have fired this ammo thru your guns.  Was it dirty, accurate, stinky, etc.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe it has been determined that the mystery battle pack ammo of disputed origin is actually, contrary to original reports, somewhat corrosive.

Source?  Everyone here said that it was non-corrosive at the time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've tested the ones marked "95" and they are NOT corrosive. I tested it by putting in a cherry new gas tube (replacement for one rusted up a lot) shot a couple hundred rounds, and let it sit for a while (recall it was a few days). ZERO corrosion.

I do recall one poster a while back saying he'd gotten some earlier marked cases ("77" I think) that seemed to be corrosive.

Where'd you find the ammo? I could use more...

It was quite accurate in my SSR-85B. 2-3" at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've tested the ones marked "95" and they are NOT corrosive.

Thank you for the info.  Mine are also marked "95".
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top