Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2002 9:08:24 PM EDT
I was wondering I have about 80 rounds of Czech ammo dated from 1979. While the round is not older than I am.  What type of concers should I have.   I know you can buy brand new ammo and have it blow up on you.  any oppionions?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at the ammo, you don't need a magnifying glass or anything, just a decent look over. See if you have any split necks or serious tarnishing (rusting if it is metal case).

Smell it.  It might smell slightly acidic, but if it smells really acidic then the powder and primer are breaking down.

Otherwise shoot it and enjoy.  I have shot ammo from WWI.  It depends on storage more than age.

I would treat is as corrosive and clean your rifle as such, but otherwise enjoy.  Czech ammo is pretty good stuff unless someone has left it sitting in an open field for tem years before you got to it.

A lot of surplus you get on the market today is that old or older.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Just inspected a box of Norinco Chinasports 7.62x39 and found 2 split necks out of 20 rounds.  If this common for 7.62 or any other ammo? First time I've seen it.  Was told by a firearms instructor to put unwanted ammo in a container with a little bit of motor oil to safely dispose of it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The current batch of Czech is pretty good, and was in sealed metal tins in crates. Unless it was mishandled/hot/wet after opening, it should be fine.

I had a gift of 30 rnds on chicom copper wash ammo with my first SAR, about 10% were duds even though they looked good. My only chinese ammo so far.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Blueshocky.  With military surplus you will never know what you will find.  I would have to say that it is more rare in that caliber than any other, but not unheard of.  It mostly comes down to storage and handleing from the factory to you over the many years. I seem to find it most common with "colonial" made .303 british.  I shot up some Turk 8mm this weekend  that had about 20% split necks.  

For the most part, any new 7.62 X 39 should be in good condition.

Motor oil will do the job, if you could pull the bullet you could just disassemble it.A healthy shot of WD-40 to the primer will also kill the primer as well.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top