Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/17/2021 10:10:58 PM EDT
I know my AR ammo, but I’m brand new to the AK game and need to start grabbing some.  I know I picked a bad time to get in, but nothing I can do about that now!

Price being the same, is there any specific ammo brand and/or grain I should be looking for over others?

I’m aware of Barnaul, Wolf, & Tula...seen 122, 123, & 124 grain.  Wasn’t sure if one brand or one grain is better to focus on, or if just going with the cheapest is the best motto.

Feeding it through a Zastava ZPAPM70...and possibly a PSA AK-103.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can find any AK ammo right now buy it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Any steel case ammo made by the rooskies is gtg.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.

Lol, fair enough
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out ammoseek.  It isn't perfect but the links work and they seem to be updated real time(ish).  When factoring in shipping the basic Russian Tula or Barnaul made Wolf (MC or WPA) seems to be hovering at about 50 - 53 cents shipped.   This is high to us that have paid 19 cents or less but it still seems to be the cheapest non-surplus caliber out there right now.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Most indoor ranges don't allow Russian ammo because the bi-metallic bullets stick to a magnet. They won't allow anything that sticks to a magnet because they are worried about steel core chewing up their backstop.

If you don't have to worry about that, shoot the cheapest you can find but be sure to clean the gun after because some imported ammo is corrosive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most indoor ranges don't allow Russian ammo because the bi-metallic bullets stick to a magnet. They won't allow anything that sticks to a magnet because they are worried about steel core chewing up their backstop.

If you don't have to worry about that, shoot the cheapest you can find but be sure to clean the gun after because some imported ammo is corrosive.
View Quote

Russian ammo doesn’t have steel cores, since the ‘94 Clinton import ban ended steel core ammo in that caliber. The jackets, however, have a soft steel jacket underneath the copper wash. These produce sparks when they hit hard objects, like baffles  inside an indoor range, and have been the cause of several damaging fires over the years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Is Tula 122gr FMJ good to go?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Any Tula is good to go. From what I’ve seen, when 7.62x39 is plentiful and cheap, people may say that Tula is dirty and not as accurate as some other makes, but it’s still good ammo. You’ll also learn that there are more brand names than there are factories in Russian. The Red Army Standard that I bought a few weeks ago is stamped Tula, for example.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any Tula is good to go. From what I’ve seen, when 7.62x39 is plentiful and cheap, people may say that Tula is dirty and not as accurate as some other makes, but it’s still good ammo. You’ll also learn that there are more brand names than there are factories in Russian. The Red Army Standard that I bought a few weeks ago is stamped Tula, for example.
View Quote

Awesome, thank you!

I just grabbed some 122 gr Tula from Global Ordnance on “sale”...

Seem anything better than $.46/rd right now?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Awesome, thank you!

I just grabbed some 122 gr Tula from Global Ordnance on “sale”...

Seem anything better than $.46/rd right now?
View Quote

Do you have a Rural King near you and what is your work schedule like? If yes and flexible,  might have a shot and finding some for well under that. I was paying $9 per 40 rounds a few weeks back at a Rural King in Kentucky.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you have a Rural King near you and what is your work schedule like? If yes and flexible,  might have a shot and finding some for well under that. I was paying $9 per 40 rounds a few weeks back at a Rural King in Kentucky.
View Quote

Unfortunately, no...

Nothing but Cabelas close...there is a Sportsman’s Warehouse about 30 minutes away
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Outdoor limited has some Wolf, Red army, and 1120rd crates of Romanian surplus
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Outdoor limited has some Wolf, Red army, and 1120rd crates of Romanian surplus
View Quote

Thanks!

Still 57.5¢ - 60¢/rd, even with the free shipping code
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an AK but haven’t bought anything  for awhile.   Am I seriously seeing $0.5-1 per round for steel case 7.62 as the norm?!?  Glad I bought cheap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#16]
For indoor ranges you need to get some non-magnetic rounds. Not all indoor gun ranges allow you to shoot steel cased rounds either since I see some that only allow brass cased to be shot. No steel or aluminum.

https://www.venturamunitions.com/wolf-polyformance-7-62x39-125gr-copper-fmj-non-magnetic-ammo-1000-rounds/

If you shot outside then should be fine. Not sure if your AKs will shot hollow point ammo or not.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:27:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For indoor ranges you need to get some non-magnetic rounds. Not all indoor gun ranges allow you to shoot steel cased rounds either since I see some that only allow brass cased to be shot. No steel or aluminum.

https://www.venturamunitions.com/wolf-polyformance-7-62x39-125gr-copper-fmj-non-magnetic-ammo-1000-rounds/

If you shot outside then should be fine. Not sure if your AKs will shot hollow point ammo or not.
View Quote

Is that in stock and I’m just not seeing it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is that in stock and I’m just not seeing it?
View Quote

No I was just posting that link as an example. I had not checked if the ammo was in stock. I am sorry.

Try this link to see which places the ammo is in stock.

https://ammoseek.com/
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:45:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No I was just posting that link as an example. I had not checked if the ammo was in stock. I am sorry.

Try this link to see which places the ammo is in stock.

https://ammoseek.com/
View Quote

Oh no worries!  Good to know.  Wish I could find 1000 rounds of the 124gr for that price right now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Wolf
Tula

and any other Russian ammo is good to feed your AK. Get mags while you can. Stay away from anything ProMag. Get the euro commie surplus mags. Bulgarians are good.

Take some pics and put em up OP!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been buying and shooting the non-magnetic brass jacketed loads recently. The Wolf copper fmj non-magnetic and the Red Army Standard Range-Safe ammo appear to be identical with Tulammo headstamps. The boxes and packaging is identical also except for the graphics/brand printed. I'm pretty sure it all comes from the same factory run by Tula.

It's basically the typical Russian steel case loaded with a brass jacketed bullet. No steel or anything magnetic in the projectile. The appearance of the ammo looks very good except there is no visible primer or bullet sealant, just like regular Tula/Wolf. The brass jacketed bullet looks very good with no marks gouges or imperfections.

I've shot both the Wolf and the Red Army Standard versions and have been 100%. Accuracy has been a little better that the typical Russian steel jacketed stuff. I'm averaging around 4MOA from 50 to 100 yards with the best groups just under 2.5" at 100 yards but most around 3.5-4". This is with my 50+yo eyes and like I said, it's doing a little better than the regular Wolf or Tula.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've been buying and shooting the non-magnetic brass jacketed loads recently. The Wolf copper fmj non-magnetic and the Red Army Standard Range-Safe ammo appear to be identical with Tulammo headstamps. The boxes and packaging is identical also except for the graphics/brand printed. I'm pretty sure it all comes from the same factory run by Tula.

It's basically the typical Russian steel case loaded with a brass jacketed bullet. No steel or anything magnetic in the projectile. The appearance of the ammo looks very good except there is no visible primer or bullet sealant, just like regular Tula/Wolf. The brass jacketed bullet looks very good with no marks gouges or imperfections.

I've shot both the Wolf and the Red Army Standard versions and have been 100%. Accuracy has been a little better that the typical Russian steel jacketed stuff. I'm averaging around 4MOA from 50 to 100 yards with the best groups just under 2.5" at 100 yards but most around 3.5-4". This is with my 50+yo eyes and like I said, it's doing a little better than the regular Wolf or Tula.
View Quote

Thank you!

Are you still finding this stuff available somewhere, or is it from your ammo fort?

Can’t seem to find anything less than 50¢/rd after shipping, lately.  If I’m lucky BiMart will have some in stock for about 33¢/rd, but it’s a 2 box max...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought some from True Shot Gunclub. They have it on "sale" for $497 a case of 1000 plus shipping which comes to $537 for me. That's $9.99 per 20 with the cheapest steel Russian Wolf/Tula that I see is $11.99 per 20. I tell myself that since it's a brass jacketed bullet it would be more expensive anyway even pre-panic to try and feel better. Either way, this range-safe ammo is a little cheaper, easier on your barrel and range and doesnt seem to lose anything in performance.

And it costs much less than any 5.56 that I am finding for sale and I just got back into the X39 game and shooting more AK over my AR.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought some from True Shot Gunclub. They have it on "sale" for $497 a case of 1000 plus shipping which comes to $537 for me. That's $9.99 per 20 with the cheapest steel Russian Wolf/Tula that I see is $11.99 per 20. I tell myself that since it's a brass jacketed bullet it would be more expensive anyway even pre-panic to try and feel better. Either way, this range-safe ammo is a little cheaper, easier on your barrel and range and doesnt seem to lose anything in performance.

And it costs much less than any 5.56 that I am finding for sale and I just got back into the X39 game and shooting more AK over my AR.
View Quote

Awesome, I’ll check them out!  Yeah, the 5.56 ammo game is ridiculous right now.  Glad I have plenty of that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
SG Ammo has some corrosive 7.62x39 in stock right now for .40 cents per round.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top