Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 12:22:32 AM EDT
Hello,

I havent put any of my builds on so I thought I would share this romy build with you.  My first romy completed. Thanks for lookin'

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice, I hope mine come out looking that good.

What reciever? What finish on the metal parts?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great! Nice job!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:44:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking build!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice, I hope mine come out looking that good.

What reciever? What finish on the metal parts?

This is a Ewbanks receiver from DPH Arms.  I used alluma-hyde II in gloss black.  Finish is real nice.  In the pictures, the finish looks ok because of the flash and lighting but to see it in person is really nice.  This is the first time I used the gloss black,  I normally go matte black, but I am happy with the gloss.  I think I'm going to do a polish underfolder next in gloss black.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]
looks awesome!! i did a few rommies in semi-gloss black and they look good but i am partial to the matte
what did ya do to the stock?? the colors of the wood stand out nice...if i didnt know better i would say there is some dye in there and a gloss sealer? i did some wood that turned out like that put tung oil on it first then rit dye...the tung oil puts a bit of a barrier up so the dye isnt as drastic, just tinted it alittle
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
That looks great.  What did you do to the furniture?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That looks great.  What did you do to the furniture?

Thank you guys. I appreciate the compliments.

Yes, I refinished it myself.  It was really easy.

First off, the wood was in excellent condition because I got the kits from bocefus!  I cleaned them off as best I could before sticking them into the dishwasher for 2 cycles.  Then let them air dry for a week while I did other things for the build.  I them steel wooled the hell outta them. Getting down to the original stain, careful not to remove too much of it, just enough to lighten it up.  I then put 4 coats of Iodine directly on it and evened it out with my finger. (a little at a time works best, work it into the grain it will look really orangy, dont worry, it will look better as it dries.)  After it dried I used tung oil.  (about 10 coates with steel wool in between)  Thats it.!  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW! that sucks.. Hope my parts kit and reciever i bought from you suck just as much!!

Good job man, that's a nice looking rifle - zap
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job. It looks uptown to me. I used the iodine stain and finish on my Romy as well. Yours is a bit darker but with the gloss finish it works well. Mine was lighter but I finished with Cerama-Coat on the receiver to match the as finished kit. How does it shoot? If it shoots like it looks must be a good one.
Goose
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Good job. It looks uptown to me. I used the iodine stain and finish on my Romy as well. Yours is a bit darker but with the gloss finish it works well. Mine was lighter but I finished with Cerama-Coat on the receiver to match the as finished kit. How does it shoot? If it shoots like it looks must be a good one.
Goose

I took it out and put 160 rounds through he to test function before I painted her with allumahyde II.  I have not fired her since it has been refinished.  I'll take her out this weekend weather permiting...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WOW! that sucks.. Hope my parts kit and reciever i bought from you suck just as much!!

Good job man, that's a nice looking rifle - zap

Zap,

Thanks for the compliments!  ~  What did you think of the kit you got off me??  ~  The kit I sold you was actually in better shape than this one....I was saving the better kit for last, to build up more experience.....

Range report:  I took her out today and fed her 12 boxes of wolf. She ate up everything without a hitch.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#12]
wow,.. looks great,.....you have to "school me" on refinishing the metal sometime.

as soon as i find a side rail that will work with my RPK's rivit pattern (same as WASR-10's) i would like to take you up on the build help.

there was a guy up here the last time i went shooting,.. he was out with his son and there 22 rifle,..i let them shoot my AK-74 i built,..and about a month later i saw them out shooting aain with a 5.45 AK instead of a .22 rifle,...i guess it was easy for his son to talk daddy into buying a AK after that.

so i know how you must feel about turning people on to the AK.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Member Whodonitoo with the Romy.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top