Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 1:42:56 PM EDT
I know on the rear the lenth does not matter.  I would assume that longer is better.  The question is how long could the front drive screws be before conflicing with the barrel or something else i am not thinking of?  I am wondering about the length for he front with and without the orig rivets removed.  
Thanks a ton
jimmy
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the 3/8" is almost pushing it; I've been using the 1/4" ones myself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read 1/4" on the "how tos".  I took a rough measurement to double check and I don't think more than a 1/4" will fit the front trunion with or without rivet..  I measured a Polish UF...

John P..
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
1/4" at he front worked for me. Make sure to clean the holes and use a threadlocker of some sort.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know on the rear the lenth does not matter.  I would assume that longer is better.  The question is how long could the front drive screws be before conflicing with the barrel or something else i am not thinking of?  I am wondering about the length for he front with and without the orig rivets removed.  
Thanks a ton
jimmy

3/8 will take you into Barell metal,  BTDT.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#5]
if that is the case i see a problem.  I have completely removed all rivets and removed the barrel.  I do not exactly like doing rivits so i plan on using u-drive.  that means i need to use number 10 to fit the drilled out holes.  Seems to me that the shortest #10s are 3/8.  That is from McMaster-carr.  Seems liek i may have a problem....   BTW how far into the barrel metal?  I little does not bother me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if that is the case i see a problem.  I have completely removed all rivets and removed the barrel.  I do not exactly like doing rivits so i plan on using u-drive.  that means i need to use number 10 to fit the drilled out holes.  Seems to me that the shortest #10s are 3/8.  That is from McMaster-carr.  Seems liek i may have a problem....   BTW how far into the barrel metal?  I little does not bother me.

You could grind the screws down to what you need if they are too long.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You might try www.fastenal.com I got some 1/4" long u-drives from them locally. Shipping was pretty quick too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You might try www.fastenal.com I got some 1/4" long u-drives from them locally. Shipping was pretty quick too.

Yep, ordered some when I was going to do my Udrive build, then decided to go rivet when I had problems pressing in the UDRIVE.  The helical "teeth" on the Udrive stripped out against the trunion and I got no bite.  Ended up riveting bucking against the barell.  Second one done this way so far so good although only have about 200 rounds each thru.  Not a very good gage on longevity by far.

Barrell metals comes after approx .125 (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Glenn
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top