Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:46:12 PM EDT
Not an AK but...
I recently bought me a Yugo SKS with grenade launcher and needless to say....Cosmoline  everywhere...
Simple green worked but took to damm long..
And then I saw the solution....A DIY car wash....Hi pressure washer
I took the barreled action first so it won't draw the attention of  holding a complete  rifle and set the wash cycle to hot and soapy...3 minutes laters...NICE and CLEAN metal...Stings the fingers..
Second trip I took everything else incliding the stock......
The stock only needs some wood oil to replace what the detergents removed...Cosmoline
5minutes later....All clean and no cosmoline...A lite lube and ready for the range..
Use good judgement as to where you do this....I did mine  at a  low traffic time and area...
It only cost me 6 dollars and a vacume because the wife said so.....

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, hot and soapy water works great. The hotter the water the better.

Never thought to use a carwash though

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll bet that works great on the metal! A couple of the Yugo SKSs I've got were basically just cosmo-balls with a sweet rifle center.  Lots of time and mineral spirits later I had great rifles.

I should say, though, that that's an awful thing to do to a wooden riflestock.  Heat and time are the correct, safe, and best tools for removing grease from a stock.  Shortcuts like this leave you with a dull, bleached-refinished-looking stock. I learned this the hard way.  Walking through a gun show you can tell who's chemically attacked and refinished his riflestocks and who's done things the right way.  It's why you'd never catch a carpenter or cabinetmaker doing that to wood.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'll bet that works great on the metal! A couple of the Yugo SKSs I've got were basically just cosmo-balls with a sweet rifle center.  Lots of time and mineral spirits later I had great rifles.

I should say, though, that that's an awful thing to do to a wooden riflestock.  Heat and time are the correct, safe, and best tools for removing grease from a stock.  Shortcuts like this leave you with a dull, bleached-refinished-looking stock. I learned this the hard way.  Walking through a gun show you can tell who's chemically attacked and refinished his riflestocks and who's done things the right way.  It's why you'd never catch a carpenter or cabinetmaker doing that to wood.

+1

High pressure H2O and wood make for disaster.  For example, ever pressure wash your deck?

Get too close with the wand and it narls up the wood pretty good.

Homer Formby would not be smiling.  Seriously though, hot sunny days,heat gun whatever you can, I use Kero to facilitate my cosmo removal.  Time and patience are essential for bringing cosmo mummied rifles out of thier deep hibernation.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I kept my distance from the wood and DID no harm....But the metal....

CLEAN!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Heck ....just bump fire a drum through her and that hard to get to stuff will melt out
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
WD-40

works like a champ.

good luck
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Keroseen
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a good idea for cleaning the metal parts.

I just use lacquer thinner and rags.  A couple wipe downs and it's very clean.

Only problem is the way the wood soaks up the cosmo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I use brake cleaner on my buddy's SKS.  Melted the cosmoline right off.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#10]
i have cleaned two sks's by taking them apart and placing the parts, stock, barrell adn all the other parts in the dish washer.
let it go to complete cycle and in about 2 hours it will be practically cosmo free. i would recomment getting the chunkc of cosmo off with some paper towels first. just scoop out the thick areas the washer will take care of the rest. the wood comes out looking distressed but it dried very nice.
also works on ak's.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i have cleaned two sks's by taking them apart and placing the parts, stock, barrell adn all the other parts in the dish washer.
let it go to complete cycle and in about 2 hours it will be practically cosmo free. i would recomment getting the chunkc of cosmo off with some paper towels first. just scoop out the thick areas the washer will take care of the rest. the wood comes out looking distressed but it dried very nice.
also works on ak's.

My WIFE would kill me if I did that.....You have got to be single
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought some biodegradable, water soluable degreaser concentate by the gallon, mixed in a tub with 150degree water and an engine cleaning brush. THe degreaser was in the auto section at walmart for $4.50 a gallon and I used 1 part cleaner and 2 parts water. worked GREAT you MUST use rubber gloves though, a few seconds of contact even knocked down burned my hands a little.

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#13]
one word  DISHWASHER.

ETA - pot scrubber setting, normal dishwasher detergent, remove top rack.  Disassemble gun, load washer, push start button.   Air dry stock - not hot dry.   I like Lemmon scent cascade, no ugly waterspots on your bolt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Did one toady with furniture srtipper from HomeSmepot, and then a shot of oven cleaner. Way fast, way clean. I used copper wool pads, then once dried, 150grit paper. Looks really nice.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#16]
i just soaked in gasoline for like 5 mins and came back and spayed off with carb cleaner, it was all good, i have heard about the carwash from somebody i work with though, i just have to drive a like 8 miles to get to one so maybe next time ill do that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I just give mine to Mrs Freefall to do after she finishes the dishes

FREE
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top