Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:44:28 PM EDT
Hey guys! I just picked up a Romanian GP-WASR AK47 (full stock, not folding) and overall i'm happy with the gun, except for the reciever which looks like it already fought the Americans and LOST. All scratched up and there is no dimples to keep the mag from wobbling back and forth.

So looking online it seems you can get a flat and make your own reciever... ok thats cool... kinda scary tho.. So I get a flat and bend the bastard...easy enuff with a $150 jig to bend a $15 piece of metal. What I'm running into is the different variants of AK recievers. I dont know what the hell a trunion is and I am not sure if my trigger is a double or single hook (that right?).

I'm knowledgeable on the AR front (own a Bushy M4 no-ban with an Aimpoint comp ML3) but this is all new... If i could just buy a milled reciever I would but I have yet to come across one..

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
in order to complete this project you will also need:

$300 drill press
$150 shop press
$500 modified spot welder
modified bolt cutters for rivet pressing
scrap metal for custom jigs
hammer
proper rivets
your method of heat treating
paint for finishing

some of this you may already have or be able to jimmyrig other methods.

check out this site:  gunsgutsandgod.com/

and this one:  www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts1/index.asp

good luck,  and don't chicken out,  it's not as hard as it first looks.  it will also be a good excuse to buy some cool tools!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#2]
if its your first build...
I rececomend buying a ready made reciver....
by some trigger guard rivets.... a punch and a hammer..to attach
You could use U-drive screws instead of traditional rivets....Or screws...Or weld...MIG or TIG..

As for a milled reciver....milled reciver
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
in order to complete this project you will also need:

$300 drill press (less than $100)
$150 shop press (about $100 on sale at HF)
$500 modified spot welder($150 at HF)
modified bolt cutters for rivet pressing($7.99 for 24" at HF)
scrap metal for custom jigs
hammer
proper rivets
your method of heat treating
paint for finishing

some of this you may already have or be able to jimmyrig other methods.

check out this site:  gunsgutsandgod.com/

and this one:  www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts1/index.asp

good luck,  and don't chicken out,  it's not as hard as it first looks.  it will also be a good excuse to buy some cool tools!!!

I have to respectfully disagree with almost all of your post.  Check out the tacked post on the easiest AK build ever.  Buy all the tools if you wish, but they are not necessary, nor is it necessary to spend that much money on each of those individual tools.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have to respectfully disagree with almost all of your post.  Check out the tacked post on the easiest AK build ever.  Buy all the tools if you wish, but they are not necessary, nor is it necessary to spend that much money on each of those individual tools.

yes, you can get buy cheeper.  -you get what you pay for.  although, pawn shops are great for getting tools cheep.

i guess i just like to pay more -once- for what i buy.  that's just my experience.  if this is the only AK he will ever build then go cheep.  but once the dark side has you it doesn't let go!!!  MasterChief-M4  will have 10 home built AKs within 5 years.    you'll see.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, you can get buy cheeper.  -you get what you pay for.  although, pawn shops are great for getting tools cheep.

i guess i just like to pay more -once- for what i buy.  that's just my experience.  if this is the only AK he will ever build then go cheep.  but once the dark side has you it doesn't let go!!!  MasterChief-M4  will have 10 home built AKs within 5 years.    you'll see.

Only 10?  Hell, I had that many in just over a year!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#6]
OK so the milled reciever idea is out due to the price. How about a replacement stamped reciever with dimples and something that doesn't have burrs and where my bolt will go back a little smoother? Any ideas from you experienced builders?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
contact globaltrades,  they make good receivers.  your trunions fit the 1.0 not 1.6

globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
keep the wasr the way it is and just get a Kit AK, copesdist.com and a bunch of others sell the romy kits for about $99-$130 and then get your self a GT reciever. use your wasr to help you answer any questions you might have about how its put together. and when your done you will have a wasr and a nice AK you built your self.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
keep the wasr the way it is and just get a Kit AK, copesdist.com and a bunch of others sell the romy kits for about $99-$130 and then get your self a GT reciever. use your wasr to help you answer any questions you might have about how its put together. and when your done you will have a wasr and a nice AK you built your self. hr

Oh I definately will be building a nicer AK in the future, I just want to change the reciever to a better one and then i'll be 100% happy with this rifle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Chief,

My humble and by no means expert  opinion is that another thing you may want to consider is that if you put a homebuilt receiver on you can never legally transfer/sell the rifle. In the curiouser and curiouser world of gun control regulations I would think that by removing the serialized receiver and replacing it with your own home made part you would have legally in effect (if not in reality) 'manufactured' a firearm. Which to my understanding is still perfectly legal for yourself, but since it wasn't 'built' by a licensed Class VII manufacturer you can never transfer it. That's my opinion anyway. I would just spend the extra 50 bucks or so for a ready to go commercial US made receiver to replace the one you have. A lot of people seem to be having the same problem you are with this particular AK.

On the flip side though I will say I'm right in the middle of my first AK build and it is a lot of fun.  Plus saves you money, not only am I building (for 150 bucks) the same basic Romanian AK my friendly FFL dealer wanted only $465 plus tax and fees for: I also have something to do at home on the weekend working on this thing instead of spending money at gunshows . I'm just using basic tools on this one, dremel, hand drill, mapp torch, lots of patience. It won't be a beauty queen, but it will be highly functional and good enough for the range.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#11]
DCI makes a nice %100 receiver and you can put it together with a u-drive screw kit for $9.  Check them out
www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:43:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
DCI makes a nice %100 receiver and you can put it together with a u-drive screw kit for $9.  Check them out
www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

Actually, these guys will build me a complete reciever (minus the trigger set i'm guessing) for $139.00
http://globaltrades.com/ak_receivers.html

Just got to figure out which one i need.. i know i need the 1mm but need to take the AK apart tonight and see if i have a single or double hook trigger and i'm still not 100% on what a "trunion" is yet..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#13]
If you look at the front of your receiver, the "trunion" in the part that is riveted to the receiver and holds the barrel. Some folks also call the Stock Tang, which is the part at the rear that attaches the rec. to the stock, the rear trunion. Hence reading, you will see references to front and rear trunions.

Your WASR is an AKM and should have a Single Hook Trigger. Remove the top cover, lock the hammer back. The part holding the hammer is the hook.

Also, another option is to look in the "Hometown Forum" to see if there might be someone in your vicinity, who already has the tools and experience.
This is how I started, and I eventually bought 1 tool at a time, or made what I needed, till I had 'em all.

If you have funds to buy tools look to Harbor Freight.
You will want a Drill Press I paid $190 for a floor model
Good drill bits are a must, a rivet crusher can be made from Bolt Cutters, I prefer the 24" set.
A shop press is very nice to have but not abolutely necessary, I prefer the 20 ton but many folks are happy with the 12. I use mine to press barrel pins and re-install my barrels.
A solid 6" vise is also nice. Lowes has a "Kobalt "brand w/ lifetime warranty.
A barrel removal tool can be made from an Auto Zone PN# 25190 Power Steering Pulley puller.
Works too easy. If you plan to rivet, you will need to remove the barrel.

If you plan to bend your own rec. you will need access to a spot welder for the lower rails.
HF has them for (115 volt) $150 on sale regularly.

Good Luck and oh, the kits from Copes (hand pick with G2 Trigger) for $125 is a very good deal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only 10?  Hell, I had that many in just over a year!!!

Ditto, I had 10 built in about 2 months.  Just waiting on some flats to arrive so I can finish off the 10 other AKs waiting in line.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top