Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:39:48 PM EDT
I was wanting to find out from some of you who have tried the U drive screws in a build and how did it turn out?  I know about the thread intitled "Easiest build ever" but it seems to be pretty dead and also the details in there are a little vague at best.

what kind of U drives did you use?(the zinc coated ones or the 18-8 stainless) and where did you buy them?

also, did anyone at all(besides "dalesimpson" have any luck finding the grade 8 steel ones?(everyone that i called, US fasteners, Fastenals, etc., had never even heard of U drives being made in grade 8 steel.

please share your results and any other info. that could be helpful

thanks a bunch

camaro
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used the u-drives (#8, zincs, 1/4") on two builds so far.  I have the 18-8 stainless steel ones as well, but they don't take to bluing too well.  Anyways, purchased mine from McMaster-Carr.  As far as durability is concerned, they seem to be holding up well...I'll tell you after 10,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't want to buy 100 or more at a time, killerone, has several nice "kits" including the drill bit on the Equipment Exchange forum. He has several options for different builds.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I was wondering from those that have done both U drive and screw builds, which they prefered.  I am not worried about cosmetics.  Mainly looking to see if they are durable, nothing coming loose, that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was wondering from those that have done both U drive and screw builds, which they prefered.  I am not worried about cosmetics.  Mainly looking to see if they are durable, nothing coming loose, that sort of thing.

I have done both, and to be honest I have more faith in the drive screws then I do in the screws.  I have had screws loosen up, but not drive screws.  Also, the drive screws look like rivets, don't require any tapping of holes, and they are easy as all hell to install.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I did a build with drive screws.  I used 18-8 stainless. Four # 8 x 1/4 for the front trunnion and four #8 x 3/8 for the rear.  The #8's use a 27ga drill bit and have a head size similar to 5/32 rivets.  I used regular rivets for the lower front trunnion. I screwed up the rear and removed them by grinding the heads off.  The stub looked like a star inside the original rivet wirh no airspace.  Seeing that gave me added confidence in these.

Where are you in NC, if you are near Raleigh, I will give you some of these screws to try out.  I'll never go through the box of 100.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]

I have had screws loosen up, but not drive screws. Also, the drive screws look like rivets, don't require any tapping of holes, and they are easy as all hell to install.

Hmm.  Just what I was looking for.  Work better and easier to use.  No brainer then.
Thanks

ETA: I just ordered me a few hundred.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
this what can be accomplished with drive screws

rivet is the one by the magwell its kinda hard to tell the differernce
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top