Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 7:43:53 PM EDT
I finally got off my a$$ and ordered six different kits from two sellers. The companies that I decided to use were Centerfire and Gunthings.com. From Centerfire I ordered....

Yugoslavian Fixed Stock Kit (Stamped w/ Dark Bore)- The kit greatly exceeded my expectations. The wood was in vg to excellent condition; it only has one nick on the lower handguard. All numbers matched and the bore was in very good condition. It is a little dark at the muzzle end of the bore, but that is it. The finish was nice.

Yugoslavian Underfolder (Stamped)- This one was also all matching with a bore condition rating very good plus. The handguards were in really nice condition and the underfolder showed wear, but the rifle's finish was in nice condition.

Romanian "G" Kit- This was the only one that has left more to be desired. I guess I assumed an all matching kit and did not expect as much on the previous two. The rifle's finish is very good with wear around the edges. The wood was in nice condition. I guess I can't have all the luck and receive a third matching kit.  (As I read their ad, it says matching numbers on the barrel, bolt, and carrier).

Suomi M/31-I had to add this kit onto the order, as it was "only" an extra fifteen dollars. The wood was real nice and the finish is perfect. All the parts were intact minus the cut receiver (obviously). It also came with some nice finnish dirt on the buttstock. The drum, which I bought separately, was also nice.

Gunthings...

Polish Underfolder-As described on their website. The kit was all matching, minus the bayo. I was hoping to win the lottery, but I guess I have to add my name to the circulating bayonet pool.

Polish Tantal-This one had a lot of finish wear. The bore was as described, but I feel that the finish description was not depicted accurately. Oh well, I will just have to refinish this one.

I hope this helps those contemplating a purchase from these vendors. Overall, I am very pleased and I now have my hands full with some builds!

As a question, do you have to register a sbr with the atf if you built it from an 80% receiver? I want to stay compliant if I successfully can put the suomi together.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
On the Tantal?  Do NOT feel bad - Tantal's have the weakest, most pathetic paint of any AK I've seen... even the "perfect finish" units should be striped.  And it's REALLY EASY...

DO NOT blast it - just wipe the paint off with acetone.  It will run off like cheap ink, and you will find a very nice layer of PARK underneath it - perfect for a refinish with GunKote :)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice. I will definately jot this down so I can remember when I build it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top