Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 12:29:19 PM EDT
I am really interested in building a Polish Tantal style AK74 as my first AK build.  I know that I should probably start on a Romanian with a cheap receiver to learn, but I already have one of those.  Are their any guides detailing exactly how to build one.  Also, I would like to use a complete receiver, as I do not have the tools right now to bend flats.  As a final question, what complete receiver should I be looking at for this build, and where can I find it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
So they work in a standard AK receiver, and all we have to do is drop in a new hammer spring and selector and that is it?  If they are that easy, a tantal may be my next build
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to build one... But where can I find a 20rd 5.45x39 AK mag?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd like to build one... But where can I find a 20rd 5.45x39 AK mag?

you have to custom make one
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea, I want one more than ever now.  I am just confused a little with the whole selector switch thing that is on the left side of the receiver.  Do you install it as a dummy switch or do you just leave the thing off all together?  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So basically, buy a Polish Tantal kit, a OOW reciever, and a US FCG and put them all together?  Is that it?  Also, was the OOW receiver predrilled?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So basically, buy a Polish Tantal kit, a OOW reciever, and a US FCG and put them all together?  Is that it?  Also, was the OOW receiver predrilled?

no it is not predrilled for trunnion holes
BLM
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, well i guess that adds complexity to the build.  Tools are something that a college student just kind of lacks.  Not to mention the money.  Guess I will order soon and just figure it out, how hard could it be.  I will tie a string to the trigger the first time so its not my hand/arm/life that gets destroyed.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Damn, well i guess that adds complexity to the build.  Tools are something that a college student just kind of lacks.  Not to mention the money.  Guess I will order soon and just figure it out, how hard could it be.  I will tie a string to the trigger the first time so its not my hand/arm/life that gets destroyed.  

I have built all my ak's with vice,cordless drill and moded bolt cutters
peice of cake if you need help just ask here
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh believe me, I will if I get stuck.  The only thing that I am afraid of is firing something that I have built.  Thats where the string comes in.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Don't forget 922r...you will need a total of 6 US parts to avoid exceeding 10 foreign parts.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top