Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 4:20:45 PM EDT
Just started getting going and it is coming along nice.  I am modifying the plans a bit though as there is room for improovement to the plans.    I dont like the idea of having the inner plate/plates  drilled all the way through for the bolts that are used to clmap the bottom and Flat to. .  With the way they have it the bolt head or nut will be tightened down on an angled surface and want to walk the bottom plate around while tightening.  I am going to make blind holes perpendicular to the angle and thread them. that way there is no bolts protruding out of the top of the middle plate.
 I also will make the solid 3/4 inner plate VS the two 3/8 plates.  If a guy uses the 2 3/8 plates the trough holes would have to be on the seam where the 2 plates join together.
 This is probably all greek to anyone who hasnt studied the print of built one.
 I will probably rent it out wheni am done to area builders to recoup my costs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
in time ,young grasshopper!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 I also will make the solid 3/4 inner plate VS the two 3/8 plates.  If a guy uses the 2 3/8 plates the trough holes would have to be on the seam where the 2 plates join together.

I will probably rent it out wheni am done to area builders to recoup my costs.

I did mine the way you're describing.  I used a 3/4" center w/2 3/8 flats.  Also, the bottom plate is attached with bolts perpendicular to the bottom of the jig.  the bottom is a flat surface, so i'm kinda confused about the angle thing you're talking about.

The metal for mine cost about $23 total.  Where are you getting metal that it's expensive?

I'll post picts of mine tonight so you can get an idea of what i did.

caspian
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont you mean a 3/4 center with teo 1/4 sides? a 3/4 center with 3/8 sides would be too wide.
 I probably wont really rent it out, just trade for other services like parking or bead blasting. something of that nature.  Or just sell it outright when i am done with my 2 kits.
 I am making it at work so it really isnt the cost, its the time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Should be bending up my first flat tomorrow if i have time to weld the Die portion (outer walls). Have all the pieces made, just need to do a little welding if i get time
Forgot the pictures at work... maybe Friday
 Do any of you have accurate outside dimentions of a completed reciever to see how mine stacks up?  Mainly the width and hight on both ends, and this is of course on the .043 flats
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top