Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:46:34 PM EDT
I have been working on  cheap durable finish.  I use the BBQ paint and after that is applied and baked I go over it with clear polyurathane,  satin or semi gloss depending on the kit .   The good stuff takes a full 3 days to cure in best conditions.  I think I am getting a pretty close match to the original look.  Has anyone else tried something along this line?  I accept that this is not as good as the more expensive proper finishes but it doesn't look bad to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
This is not that expensive....
A Testors airbrush compleat set-up from Wal-Mart about 20 bucks..
Jasco parkerizing from home Depot 6 bucks.
MEK from HD another 7.
Add an 8once bottle from
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp            
for 23bucks..
and your oven at home.
I did'nt buy this all at once but a bit here and there.
I have used  Hi temp before an will contiue to do so..atleast till my molyresin arrives.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried out some of that rustoleum "name brand" BBQ paint

The bottel says "tough, durable, prevents rust, etc"

baked it at 400 in the oven for 2 hours, let cool one day, then rubbed it with gun oil,

it gives a very good match to a bulgarian krink kit. and it truely is very durable. the safety took at least 10 passes before it started to wear through (you know, the safety arc scratch?)

I'm very impressed with it. much more durable than the ceramic bake on engine paint.

it's a "durable resin"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the Dupli-Color.  I've done 6 builds on one can so far and it's proven to be very durable.  Used numorus brands of solvents on it to test it out, and it still shows no sign of dissolving.  The only signs of wear so far are on the safty arch and on the revit just under the selector swtich...everywhere else seems to be holding up just fine.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top