Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:19:52 PM EDT
I recieved 3 kits yesterday.  I started working on removing the rivets from my first build ever.  I came across 3 parts I didn't recognize.  I know one was a FA spring, one is the FA disconnecter and the other one a wierd curved piece.  I know they are FA cause I've never seen them in my other 2 rifles.  They were promptly thrown in a public dumpster.  I don't need the alphabet crew knocking on my door.  My question is do they usually come with this stuff?  I thought it was illegal to possess without a stamp, even then it must be made before '86.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a few with mine also. the danger lies in putting the "no-no" third hole in your receiver. I am not an expert on the law but it seems that everyone I talk to has these parts. see on an AR you can drop aM-16 FCG in with an auto sear and rattatatat... the AK requires receiver modification, so I think owning the parts is OK. but I am no expert.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The curved piece was the auto sear...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't walking on thin ice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It is OK to have the parts as long as you dont drill the dreaded third hole.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that it is ok to use the H,T,D and not the sear if you make up the compliance parts somewhere else. Also you need to cut the tab off the back of the disconector. Do also need to grind down the hammer where the auto sear catches it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

...with the exception of any laws at the state level against possession of FA parts.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The Romanian kits typically come with the FA parts except that the auto sear has the tail ground off so even if they were installed it would still only fire semi auto.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Not necessarily true. From what I've heard you are allowed to own the FA parts right up until you own the receiver. Reason being is because a judge can still deem having the receiver and parts intent to build. For what its worth, its just a good idea to dump the parts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Owning the parts and the rifle may be consider "intent" if you pissed off the ATF. I usually just trow the FA parts on GBroker or in the ....hard to say...   tttrraasshhh.. arg that was hard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldnt be too worried about it.  now if you have a receiver that you have a centerpunched autosear hole on and a slotted rail, then I would worry, but somehow I think we'll all be ok.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]
This comes up every so often.  The most authoritative thing I have seen said there was no problem.  IIRC, the ATF doesn’t consider it to be constructive intent to have both a receiver and FA parts as long as the third hole is not drilled.  When it comes to constructive intent, they are concerned about things like AR15 FA drop in sears that allow you to readily convert the rifle.  Interpretation of the word readily is the tipping point.  If you had the FA parts, a FA template and the correct size drill bit stored together in a drawer, that would certainly look very bad.  If you have that bad stuff and you are the kind of guy that makes his neighbors or the local LE nervous, you are definitely at risk.  If you have the FA parts and there isn’t any sign that you intend to use them, and you are an upstanding citizen, there really shouldn’t be any risk.  I happen keep mine for investment reasons only.  Who knows what they will be worth some day.   For the record, I have no intent to use them as long as it is illegal.  I have way too much to loose.  But hey, this is an individual decision.  And, for all you know, I am some fiendish ATF guy trying to lure people into confessing that they keep their FA parts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I destroy the FA parts I received..Why take a risk? Even if its perfectly legal to own which I don't believe anyone can say for certain.The state of Virginia doesn't think so.But hey if charged you may get off ...with massive legal bills.. What are you going do with the parts ? Its never going to be legal for you to construct an automatic weapon.. never, ever.You want sell them ? Great, open yourself up to huge liability suit if some wacko then goes and kills a bunch of people using the FA parts you sold him. Maybe you'll successfully defend the suit but even if you win, you'll lose..all your money in legal fees. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This comes up every so often.  The most authoritative thing I have seen said there was no problem.  IIRC, the ATF doesn’t consider it to be constructive intent to have both a receiver and FA parts as long as the third hole is not drilled.  When it comes to constructive intent, they are concerned about things like AR15 FA drop in sears that allow you to readily convert the rifle.  Interpretation of the word readily is the tipping point.  If you had the FA parts, a FA template and the correct size drill bit stored together in a drawer, that would certainly look very bad.  If you have that bad stuff and you are the kind of guy that makes his neighbors or the local LE nervous, you are definitely at risk.  If you have the FA parts and there isn’t any sign that you intend to use them, and you are an upstanding citizen, there really shouldn’t be any risk.  I happen keep mine for investment reasons only.  Who knows what they will be worth some day.   For the record, I have no intent to use them as long as it is illegal.  I have way too much to loose.  But hey, this is an individual decision.  And, for all you know, I am some fiendish ATF guy trying to lure people into confessing that they keep their FA parts.

i knew it!! i've had my eye on you mister, i knew you were up to no good!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i knew it!! i've had my eye on you mister, i knew you were up to no good!

Ever hear a weird clicking or buzzing noise on your phone?  Thats me listening. Oh, and I got a trace on all your google searches too.  Better watch out.  Comin to getcha.  Ozzy the spook, I mean nuke.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top