Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 8:49:42 PM EDT
I took it out to refinish the stock.  How do I get it back in?  I tried using a dowel the same size, but it just mashes the bigger end of the spring up toward the middle.  Any one have any tricks?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you try pushing the cleaning kit in there to push it down?  I just use a marking pen I have to push it all the way in.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:16:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any cleaning kits.  I'll keep trying.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a long wooden dowel (ACE Hardware sells them).  I put the spring on the dowel, then twist it in the direction to tighten as I push it in.  Then gently twist in the opposite direction to remove the dowel.  It's really easy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I just ended up using the handle of my 1/2 inch ratchet.  It was perfectly sized and pushed the spring in with no problem.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I say just leave it out until you get a cleaning kit
GET A CLEANING KIT! It's handy to have, ya know, it's supposed to be the only tool you need to keep the rifle at 100% in the field (includes everything you need to detail strip the rifle to the smallest components, everything short of removing rivets. Also cleaning the gun and making any adjustments necessary, if you're into that ). Seriously, well worth the $5 (or that's what I paid for mine last time I got one).

so yeah, forget about the spring for now, or just let it bounce around inside the stock, doesn't really matter!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:
I use a long wooden dowel (ACE Hardware sells them).  I put the spring on the dowel, then twist it in the direction to tighten as I push it in.  Then gently twist in the opposite direction to remove the dowel.  It's really easy.

good advise just screw it in
tip for next time tho leave it in there

kinda falls under if it aint broke dont fix it and if it aint in the way dont move it

candys wisdom of the day
he who stands on toilet high on POT
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:

good advise just screw it in
tip for next time tho leave it in there

kinda falls under if it aint broke dont fix it and if it aint in the way dont move it

candys wisdom of the day
he who stands on toilet high on POT

I think he took the spring out so that he could bleach the stock.  If you leave the spring in, the bleach will cause the spring to rust.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
yea i had been up for 40+ hours
and was alittle on the happy side

if i was thinking i would have said leave it out
they just raddle and make noise vary few people actually use them
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I left it out so it wouldn't rust.  Got it back in now.  I do need to get some cleaning kits though.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top