Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 5:19:35 PM EDT
I've never built an AK receiver form a flat before.   What is the best way to attach the rails to the receiver.  Rivets, screws, weld (mig, tig, spot).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you have to work with.  I have done both screws and spot welding.  Screws are the cheepest and least expensive for setup but I think spot welding is better and cleaner looking.  That goes against what I first thought on my first 5 builds!  I was into screws only.  Now that I have all the tools, I am to welding.  I think that both are just as strong if done correctly but if you want it done cheap use screws.  If you have all the toys, spot weld.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you rivet the side rails ?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can you rivet the side rails ?

Sure you can if you want that look.  Anything that will attach the rails and not interfere with the bolt travel...

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/82621/200.jpg

He said "THE BEST" Dude....We all know that means Bubble Gum.

Sorry Koob, I couldn't resist. WELDING. Welding is the best/strongest way to attach your rails to your flat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had great luck cutting a channel in the side of the Bent reciever and welding through the channel to the Rails. Once you finish welding it is as simple as grinding the weld flush. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have had great luck cutting a channel in the side of the Bent reciever and welding through the channel to the Rails. Once you finish welding it is as simple as grinding the weld flush. Good luck.

That's the way I am going to do mine. Of course I will use a screw to secure while I weld then remove it and weld up the hole up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I just bought captive fasteners (4-40) to put inside rail and am going to screw them on. All I have is a mapp/oxy torch and don't know if I could weld those on.. don't know enough about welding. Would rather weld
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top