Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 12:19:33 PM EDT
Correct me if any of this is wrong.

You can't build a rifle with any more than 10 foreign counted parts.

You can't import Russian AK's for whatever reason.

We were able to get Russian AK's that were used by the PLO, because once they are in a country for five years, they are then considered by the ATF to be from that country.

So, if I buy a foreign kit, and let it sit in my safe for five years before building it, it is then no longer a foreign firearm, it is a 'naturalized' US firearm.  Right?  RIGHT???

I know they would never go for that, but it was something I was thinking about today.  Where are the holes in my logic?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Ignoring the fact that it is not a good idea to rely on a technicality as a defense against prison, I see the following problem:

The rule you cited applies to firearms, NOT kits.

TheOtherChris
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not actually going to do it.  I was just considering the inconsistencies.

So, I have a Chinese SKS that I bought in 1995.  Does that make it a US SKS now?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont know the answer, but keep thinking.  Someone had to come up with the idea and be brave enough to break the ice on the first demil AK rebuild.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
i got a loophole for ya
go buy a preban rifle
chop it up and build your kit on it
then its legal an you dont have to add us parts

BTW on the other matter its not a firearm till you build it
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:05:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So, I have a Chinese SKS that I bought in 1995.  Does that make it a US SKS now?

NO unless the Chinese markings and the import marks have disappeared.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO unless the Chinese markings and the import marks have disappeared.

So if I take those off, I can do whatever I want to it, within the bounds of legality for US produced firearms?

If a bunch of Chinese SKS's were used by the Palestinians for more than 5 years, they would no longer be considered Chinese, just as the Russian kits weren't considered Russian.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, and I am not sure I would want to rest my gun rights on this, but....

Why not build with your 922(r) parts and use the gun for five years...  then swap the parts out for the orginals in five years if you still have the desire and parts at that time...

Not worth the effort IMHO but each to their own!

I think is the BATFE wanted to get nasty about this that they would hand you your ass if you try defending yourself with your logic but it's your freedom we are talking about...  try it and let us know how you make out
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#8]
That's interesting.  Reason I say so is that there is a 5 year statute of limitations on US builds.  So, if you build a firearm that is not 922r compliant, after 5 years it's considered legal.  More than likely for the same reasons you've stated.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's interesting.  Reason I say so is that there is a 5 year statute of limitations on US builds.  So, if you build a firearm that is not 922r compliant, after 5 years it's considered legal.  More than likely for the same reasons you've stated.

Please post the linky to that Statue.  Oh if only it is true.  Now mind you I am 100% legal but I would LOVE to see something that reduces govt intervention and penalties on decent folks.   Show me the law that says Five years....  thanks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If that's true, I'll be pissed, because a few months ago I spent some good money and effort to buy enough US compliance parts for my Norinco just so I could put the bayonet on it, where it belongs.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I am trying to find more info... not an easy search...

See:

gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5857

A: The statute of limitations on viola-
tions of 18 U.S.C. section 922(r) is 5 years.
The general statute of limitations found
at 18 U.S.C. section 3282 is the one ap-
plicable to prosecution of criminal viola-
tions of the Gun Control Act. If the as-
sembly was done more than 5 years ago
then the time for prosecution has run out.
As to the status of parts kits, ATF has
decided that, “emiautomatic assault
weapons in knockdown (disassembled)
condition consisting of a receiver and all
parts needed to assemble a complete semi-
automatic assault weapons are subject to
regulation if the parts are segregated or
packaged together and held by a perso-
nas the parts for the assembly of a par-
ticularfirearm. " See the answer to ques-
tion 02, page. III, "Federal Firearms
Regulations Reference Guide, " ATF P
5300.4 (10-95), commonly called the ATF
"Yellow Book. " An updated guide to fed-
eral firearms laws should be out very soon,
and will replace this one, which has a yel-
low cover.

So, I need to break the law today with documentation... then hide the gun for five years...  then keep the documentation that I had an illegal configuration for more then five years so ya can't lock me up....  WOW  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#12]
No shit!?!

Now that is something.  Too bad it's not the same with MG's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No shit!?!

Now that is something.  Too bad it's not the same with MG's.

The thread and the links off the thread I linked to mentions this... MGs have to do with taxes and tax law has different rules...  I read that in those other pages and the things that they link to
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys are assuming of course that the alfabet soup boys don't just up and change the rules without telling anyone ... again.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top