Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2005 9:29:35 PM EDT
1st build...i tried to drill out the rivets with the barrel in place and drilled into it.

How far is too far, if any at all??  Can the hole be filled w/ weld or will the heat screw the tempor?

Thx
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
"Edited To Correct Post"

Rule of thumb is if the hole is any deeper than the depth of the groove for the rear sight block retaining pin you have problems.  If it isn't you should be okay.

Thanks again to "socandyman" for giving me a heads up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
thats not sound advise
the barrel pin is further down where there is more meat to the barrel
if you drilled over 3/32 the barrel is scrap
its not worth it over a barrel that can be replaced for 50 bucks or less
you cant replace your hands face or eyes is it really worth your LIFE?

PS i know you really dont wanna hear this but you need to take the barrel and trunnion apart so you can see the damage thats done not just guess
if you dont have a way to take it apart send it to me ill do it for you (you pay shipp)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thx for the advice...I have the barrel out of the trunion and I think it is too deep for me to take a chance.

I figured this would be a learning experience...I bought two kits and will be happy to get one function gun out of them at first.

Where is the best place to get a replacement barrel?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thx for the advice...I have the barrel out of the trunion and I think it is too deep for me to take a chance.

I figured this would be a learning experience...I bought two kits and will be happy to get one function gun out of them at first.

Where is the best place to get a replacement barrel?

What kind of kit were you building?

I just purchased a drilled into Polish barrel as I am going to build a cut-a-way out of it...  Save your barrel as some fool like me might just have a use for a trashed barrel...  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The kit is Akron's PMKMS.  PM me if you can use it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
No thanks...  buying enough small parts to make a cut-a-way AKM likely cost me as much as buying a full kit...  Barrel, Front and rear Trunions, furnature, trigger guard, muzzle devise, etc...

After I started buying I figured out it would have been cheaper to buy one of the $80 "rusty kits"

Still, I am building the cut-a-way next so depending on how it turns out others might want to do one too...?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
thats not sound advise
the barrel pin is further down where there is more meat to the barrel
if you drilled over 3/32 the barrel is scrap
its not worth it over a barrel that can be replaced for 50 bucks or less
you cant replace your hands face or eyes is it really worth your LIFE?

PS i know you really dont wanna hear this but you need to take the barrel and trunnion apart so you can see the damage thats done not just guess
if you dont have a way to take it apart send it to me ill do it for you (you pay shipp)

You are correct, I meant to say the depth of the rear sight retaing pin and not the barrel pin.  this groove is just a little less that 3/32".  I have corrected my previous post.  Thanks "socandyman".
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top