Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:07:43 PM EDT
I should be done finishing my Ironwood set next week. How do I change the gas tube in the upper handguard?

Second question:

What about the little "ears" on the gas tube that fit into the recesses in the HG?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Grab the gas tube and twist the wood off.  It shouldn't matter which way you twist it off.  You may have to pad the gas tube and put it in a vise to get the wood off.  I usually use a 10" adjustable wrench on the flats of the gas tube and twist the wood off by hand.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Grab the gas tube and twist the wood off.  It shouldn't matter which way you twist it off.  You may have to pad the gas tube and put it in a vise to get the wood off.  I usually use a 10" adjustable wrench on the flats of the gas tube and twist the wood off by hand.

Is there a trick to re-install it in the new wood?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just as simple as reversing the process.  Only one thing, make sure you have the handguard seated against the gas tube before you try to reinstall it.  I have seen more than one broken handguard because guys have tried to rotate the handguard and didn't have it all the way on the gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Dale.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
OOps! It a spring thingy and not attached.

Got it off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/furnitureremoval.htm

Awesome link! Thanks!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top