Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:06:29 PM EDT
I'm in the middle od staining my IronwoodDesigns stock set using the RIT dye method.

I strained it using alcohol and started with yellow and a little red. That wasnt right, so I went to some straight red.
That made the stock look kind funny, red and orange striped. I had a smoke and stared at it for a while and wondered what to do. I decided to go back to the yellow and did a few more coats of that which made it better, more AK orange but it's still not right. To stripy with distinct red stripes in the orange.
I think it needs some brown(china mart was out of brown) to blend the colors and take away the stripe effect.

What say you guys? What's the ideal AK furniture color?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
3 parts red to 1 part orange
then coat everythang with a light coat of med dark brown stain after the rit drys

im shure thats about as clear as mud but my brain is on slow/retard today
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
then coat everythang with a light coat of med dark brown stain after the rit drys

Do you mix the dye powder w/ water or alcohol for staining the stocks? I'm getting to ready to start
doing some stock work myself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mix the dye powder w/ water or alcohol for staining the stocks? I'm getting to ready to start
doing some stock work myself.

Get a funnel and a coffee filter and filter the dye with alcohol. Dont mix it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a set of Russian wook and it was the most beautiful red I have seen on wood. My buddy redid his Maadi with a walnut and cherry stain and it came pretty close.

For reference
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I applied the first coat of tung oil last night. Pics to follow in a couple days.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top