Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/7/2005 8:09:56 PM EDT
i want to learn how to build a AK47 from a pre cut+drilled flat reciever and parts kit, where do i get the info on doing so and putting it together?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
all the info is on this site you just gotta look

where are you at in OR ?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Sadly no one is willing to create a detailed, comprehensive, butt-simple "How to build an AK" web page, and even if someone did, no one would want to host it for free (because of bandwidth costs).

I have web skills, and a legal copy of Windows 2003 Server. If someone was willing to pay the hosting fees, I would be willing to maintain and manage a "How to build it" web system for several weapons (AK-47 family, AR-15 family, Colt 1911 Auto family, etc.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
located in bend and thanks for the info, i guess ill go and build me a AK47 from the AGI video. IS it more complicated than building a Ar15? If so, Ill just buy a AK. I dont want to fork out money to buy big machinery tools that cost hundreds of dollars. I just want to learn how to heat treat and bend the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
How much money are we talkin' for the hosting?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Plinkereye, go here.

It's what you asked for.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on Pookie's site, it is a great source of info.

Be sure to check out the library here also.
Build info
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#7]
www.footpounds.com
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I am working on it but as indicated above it is tough...  I have about 300-500 photos that take up about 400MB of space and I am not done yet... (NOT EVEN CLOSE)...  I hope to cut some of the images down in size and post basic instructions to one of my websites and then put all the images and instructions on a CD...

The real problem is that depending on the tools you have the process can be very different.  now that I have my 12-ton press I am having a much easier time building then when I did my screw builds...  so much so that I had originally planned to do one more screw build and document the screw build process but I don't see the value in doing so anymore.

I hope to work on my build more this weekend but so far what I have documented is cleaning up the kit (removing the barrel, removing all the rivets (trunions and trigger group) and bending the flat.  I am now working to fit my trunions to the receiver so I can finally install rails and rivet things back together (trigger guard, front runion, rear trunion) and then press in the barrel and headspace, test fire and refinish.

By 2006 I may have something I can put on the web although I could try to find the time to add some of it in segments as opposed to trying to get it all done at once...  I will try but taking photos and making sure the images are OK before I move on takes a lot of time so I never get as much done while trying to photograph and write down the tricks and tips...  If I could video myself it might be easier and next build I may just try to set up a camera on a tripod and just build and forget about the digital camera.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
1/4
you need to change the format of your pics
i have 100 + on mine and its only 10 mb
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea I know...  it just takes time...  I have a Cannon Digital Rebel and it takes really great pics but I need to go through and crop each one and change the JPEG compression settings in Adobe Photoshop.  Like I said... it just takes a LOT of time if you want the images to look good...

Here are a couple pics I took last night while testing a new DPH jig:

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=510&page=2&pp=10

The image of the jig and tools is cut down and resized while the images in the folder are the lowest resolution the camera will take...  AND THEY MAKE A HIGHER RESOLUTION CAMERA NOW
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I have never used Photoshop but I bet you everything in my (skinny) wallet that it will do a batch job of the resize-reformat-resave process. Of course, you still have to crop by hand, unless you are very careful to only include what you need in the original shot (hint-hint).

In my opinion, line drawings are more useful than real pics in most "how-to-build" documents. 3-D CAD  renderings with overlayed info are also good.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top