Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/31/2005 3:54:39 AM EDT
I am thinking about building my first AK kit.  So I am asking for help.  Do all the parts just go together with out machining?

I would like a very well made gun.  However the best I can find are the http://www.centerfiresystems.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CSI&Product_Code=KIT-ROMUFSDD&Category_Code=PK

or

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=293664

I would like to go with all black sythetic furniture with a AR15 stock.  I may build a more original in the future.

I want a nice receiver so everything drops in with as little work as possible.  

My top price is $300-$400 total.  I know I could do the above kits for betweeen $175-200 depending on reciever I choose.

One more pertaining to fit and finish.  Can you make a Romanian gun look good?  If so are there steps to making the fit and finish any better.  

Are the machined kits even available all i see is stamped.

Can you put a bayonet on the above kits?

Anyone ever powder coat there gun?

I bet these questions are ask a 100 times but I can only get the search to go back 30days.  

Thanks a bunch guys!

Ralph

Anyhow please be kind!!!!  I want to buy something this week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
First, as a newbie you want to build a stamped kit first...  they are easier to build with less special tools and there is just more options at a better price....

The first thing you need to go is order your kit(s).  The Romanian kits are the best buy at this time.  They make really great looking guns and I would suggest buying a couple.  

As of the receiver, I think most people would agree that the nicest receiver right now is the 1.0 mm Receiver from GlobalTrades.com but the Ohio Ordance Works (OOW) receivers are very nice as well...

There are some basic tools you need to build an AK but I can't cover the entire process at this time...  In general, you get your kit... remoce some rivets and take the kit down to the basic components.  Then you simply reassemble through Rivets, Screws, or Welding.  No special milling is required and the basic tools you need include a dremel tool, a drill press, and from there it depends on how you decide to build...

I am trying to document a build of an AMD-65 from an 80% flat and I hope to be able to upload it soon...  My process is a little different as I have spent the money for all the special tools but there are lots of ways to do these builds without investing a $1000 in tools!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I really appreciate your response.  I have a lot of tools including the ones mentioned.  I looked at a WASR 10 Low Cap gun at a local sporting good shop for $200.   It just looked like a child built it.  Talk about crude!  

What would I need to weld?  Is it only required for things like bayonet lug or instead of rivets?

What do you think of the kits I mentioned?  I will buy 3-4 kits.  Is there any reason to buy so many?  

Thanks So much.
Ralph
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
The weld option is another way to do builds...  People use welders instead of screws or rivets...  I attended a build party last year where they welded AKs together... the builds ran fine but i would rather do Screws over welds, and rivets over screws if you can afford the tools...

as of kits, the Romanian kits are really nice...  I think Ihave five of these...

The Polish PMKMS kits are really quite nice and the Polish guns are nicer parts and guns... I think I have four of those...

Interordenance Arms also sells a romainian kit that is nice, just a normal AKM... I have one of those...

The AMD-65 Hungarian kits were really nice but you will have a tugh time finding one of them these days...  i think I have about six of these kits

The Yugo M92 is the cream of the crop IMHO of parts kits...  I only have one of these and I really wish I had another or more...  They are well worth the $500 or so they sell for IMHO

One kit I didn't buy and I regret not buying is the AMD-63 kits... they made sme really nice builds and I screwed up...  one kit that I think I will regret not buying is one of the Polish Tantials....  Just the same, if I build half the kits I have I will have more AKs then I will know what to do with...  At least my AKs are all 7.62x39 and use the same mags (with the exception of my SAR-3 that is..).

So, the moral of my story...  buy what you can afford...  if I had to limit myself....

1 - Romanian AKM
1 - Polisk PMKMS
1 - Yugo M92

And I would build in that order to build up your skills or realize you need help.  If yu can affor more kits...  well, you see what I have collected!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
So pick out some kits and then buy the above mentioned receivers.  

What do you think of this

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=581&Category_Code=CR+R

What makes this kit more desirable then the AK romainian?

How many kits have you built?

Thanks
Ralph

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So pick out some kits and then buy the above mentioned receivers.  

What do you think of this

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=581&Category_Code=CR+R

What makes this kit more desirable then the AK romainian?

How many kits have you built?

Thanks
Ralph

DO NOT BUY FROM THAT SITE UNLESS YOU HATE YOUR $$$!!!  They like to get about a 100% profit margin on their kits or so it seems...

Here is where I would buy:

Romainain AKM :  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=269467

PMKMS :  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=281207

M92 kit :  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=292708

As for my builds... I have two built and a third that I am building now.  My first two were screw builds...  I also disassembeled and drilled and tapped another four  kits for a couple other guys that didn't have tools.  Ding those six kits made me learn to hate doing screw builds because of those little taps that don't like hard trunions!  So, I spent the money and have most of the tools to do them the right way and man is it a whole lot faster, easier, and the results look much better!

Now, the above are all kits...  if you want advise on receivers I must step aside as the builds I have done have been on OOW receivers...  My curent build is on a flat...  I do have ton of pics of my build however and perhaps one day I can get them on my website.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top