Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 7:59:33 PM EDT
Can some one (paying member) please search archives and find my thread on bending flats without a press. Pleeeeeaaassssse! I can't remember the exact title, but some thing about bending flats.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=70621

Buy a membership you cheap bastard
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I just get a thing saying "restricted to team members". I've read links to archives before.
Is there any way to BTT it? to get it out of archives?

Yea, I know I should pay up, but you know.....................................

BTW, I'm just trying to find this for another guy who said he wanted to see it, I don't feel like starting a new thread with all the pics and what not. ETA: the guys name is "OLDTOP" I think, he e-mailed me saying he couldn't find it.

BTW, your help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yea, I know I should pay up, but you know.....................................

I can see your Post  Your pics are down however  

Membership has it's privlidges...  Support ARFCOM!

Edit:  Oh yea, you can't bring posts back from the archives...  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the text.

Real_estate_salesman
Post Number :: 695

USA

First I measured a complete receivers internal measurements, made a blue print to make a jig off of. My first jig was just a piece of hardwood that I made from a wheel barrel handle, then I went all Hollywood and made one out of steel. The wood started to get rounded endges after a few flats.

I used 1/4" bolts, so I had to drill out the original indexing holes in the tapco flats.

I use a caliper to carefully allighn the flat in the home made jig, measureing each side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted :: 4/20/2005 2:53:57 AM
Last Edited :: 4/20/2005 3:30:45 AM by Real_estate_salesman

Real_estate_salesman
Post Number :: 696

USA

The jig with flat in it.

Getting ready to start bending with a big'o mallet!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted :: 4/20/2005 3:03:21 AM

Real_estate_salesman
Post Number :: 697

USA

Starting to take shape.

Posted :: 4/20/2005 3:07:32 AM

Real_estate_salesman
Post Number :: 698

USA

getting ready to bend the top rails.

Posted :: 4/20/2005 3:09:37 AM

Real_estate_salesman
Post Number :: 699

USA

When I'm done bending the flat I just hammer the jig/form out from the small end. Here it is finished.

I stamp this in before bending, I think it adds a nice touch.

Posted :: 4/20/2005 3:13:35 AM

Real_estate_salesman
Post Number :: 700

USA

Here are 3 of the AKs I've built with this. I hope this thread can help someone get the idea how to make your own jig!

Posted :: 4/20/2005 3:16:36 AM
Last Edited :: 4/20/2005 3:24:35 AM by Real_estate_salesman

heathen
Team Member
Post Number :: 604

OH, USA

Good job.  Does the metal handguard get hot while shooting the pistol? Nice looking builds.

Posted :: 4/20/2005 5:42:55 AM

Real_estate_salesman
Post Number :: 701

USA

Quoted:
Good job.  Does the metal handguard get hot while shooting the pistol? Nice looking builds.

It can get hot, I generally wear a leather driving glove when shooting. Bumping a 30 won't get it hot at all tho, so for self defense it's OK, going thru a 75 rnd drum'll get'er hot though.

Posted :: 4/20/2005 3:20:38 PM
Last Edited :: 4/20/2005 3:21:28 PM by Real_estate_salesman

RTO68-69
Post Number :: 79

FL, USA

Dang, I'm impressed! Thanks for the jig info. Those are nice looking builds too.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top