Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 8:11:43 AM EDT
I haven't had much sleep over the last 48 hours. It all started right about the same time I decided I was going to build myself a 922r compliant  M92 Yugoslavian Krinker. My OCD's have kicked in again (Over excessive Compulsion Disorders) and I have gone from a somewhat rational man to a carbon copy of "MONK" in a little over 2 days.

The actual "Kit" is a done deal. I got one from Ohio Rapid Fire.

The rest of the stuff however has proven to be a little less straight forward as the kit. I have purchased my barrel extension, pistol grip, FCG and "A" receiver flat...but after taking a real good look at the flat AFTER I paid for it, I noticed it didn't have the "Dimples" by the magazine well.
Dammit all to hell. I'm already screwing up and I haven't even received any parts yet! LOL!
I t got me thinking about a 100% receiver again, but I have my mind made up that I WILL build this fun from scratch. I guess the obvious question for starters is:

Do you think I should keep the Flat I bought?

and

If so, how do I go about "Dimpling" the receiver where the magwell is? Is there a weld on piece available? If so, from where?

I could just send this Flat back, and get another that has the dimples on it, but so far all I see dimpled are the "softened" metal flats. How do you temper those things? My gas oven goes up to 600 degrees...do I just stick the reciever on the oven, heat to 600 degrees then let it cool slowly in the oven? How have you guys done it?

I also ordered a "AK Build DVD" that I hope was worth at least half of the $55.00 I spent on it. LOL! Anyway, your opinions will be appreciated as usual!

E
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's the AGI video, I didn't think much of it. It doesn't go into detail about locating the trunnion holes and the riveting method leaves something to be desired, I think.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The M-92s are too nice to build on a flat, I'd use a global receiver for it.

Less fitting issues too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Less fitting issues too.

what he said
but i dont think you can even build 1 legally
possibly 1 with a preban rec
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Less fitting issues too.

what he said
but i dont think you can even build 1 legally
possibly 1 with a preban rec

If you file a form 1 (and wait a while). You  can.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
'Atreides' posted that he has purchased the barrel extension. He is not going to assemble an SBR, as far as I can tell. Does Hawaii state law restrict assembly of such a firearm? That may be the question at hand.

'Atreides', you can start your heat treat research at this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=73571.

There have been extensive heat treat discussions on most of the other AK forums and boards as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
i'd send the flat back if you can. ppl usually heat treat using Map gas. Your building a gun that for the parts kit alone are running about $450 to $475 i'd buck up and get a global trades rec. if you want to build one off of a flat buy a romy kit for $110  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i'd send the flat back if you can. ppl usually heat treat using Map gas. Your building a gun that for the parts kit alone are running about $450 to $475 i'd buck up and get a global trades rec. if you want to build one off of a flat buy a romy kit for $110  

This is good advice. I'd take it if I were you Atreides. You don't want to fuck up your first build and get frustrated. Especially on a $500.00+ parts kit.

I would recommend the Global trades receiver also. Since Hawaii doesn't allow NFA weapons, you are correct in getting the barrel extension.

I would strongly recommend that you do your first build on a $99.00 romy kit. You will learn a lot with your first build. I know I did. It took me about 5-6 builds before I could build a flawless gun.

Another thing, how were you planning on bending those flats? Most people invest in a flat bender ($150.00+) and a 12 ton press.

You still will need the press and riveting tools to complete your builds (Unless you plan on ruining the kit's value by using screws).
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!

I plan  (or planned) on bending the flat using an industrial metal break. I have access to a machine shop right behind my shop.

I don't want to build an SBR. I want to build a semi-auto LEGAL gun. I have gone through all of the local laws to make sure that nothing about this build will be illegal, and I have been asking some of the knowledgeable members here on the legality of obtaining a "Kit" to start on. To tell you the truth, the gun will probably not even be shot that much. I really like the look of the Krinkov, and would have probably been satisfied using a plastic reciever and building a DUMMY Krink just to have. But since the constuction of a real gun is legal, I can't see spending $50.00 on a non-functional receiver. That's when I put in my order for the barrel extension.

I already own compliant carbines in my collection. (AR15's) and would like to have a communist carbine in the collection as well. To me, gun collecting and ameture gunsmithing is a hobby that I really enjoy. I own my own business and am not some yahoo Gansta wanna be. It's just not worth the risk for me to own/build something illegal. I'm not rich in any sense of the word and value what I have.

That said, this is gonna sound funny. The money I spent in the Krinkov kit doesn't really matter when it comes to my receiver choice. Even if I spent double for it, I would have still wanted to try and build a gun from a flat, just for the experience. I don't NEED the gun to come together quickly and time on this project doesn't matter either. I can take the time out to try and build a flat the best way I can. I appreciate all of you trying to save me some money and the heartbreak of getting into something difficult to do, thank you. But the bottom line reason I want to do this project is to gain experience. It wouldn't have mattered if this was a Krinkov or a Musket  (I am just NOT into that sort of thing) as a whole. I just really like the looks of the Krinkov which is why it was my choice for my first AK build. I'm pretty sure I will be on this board sometime in the future warning a Newbie NOT to go the flat route, but I want to make sure that when I do I have this build under my belt 1st.

Thanks for everything guys, as usual the knowledge you've shared is really appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#9]
After some thought, I have another way to put things.

I have this old M1 Carbine. I know this doesn't have to do anything with AK47's but bear with me. I LOVE THIS GUN. It's old, isn't much to look at, and NOT what anyone would consider as an EVIL LOOKING ASSAULT WEAPON. (I'm into that.) So why do I feel the way I do about the thing?

When I got this carbine, it wasn't working. It had lived a long abusive life that started back in 1953. While this gun hadn't seen much shooting action (it's bore is nice, really clean & sharp) it had certainly seen a lot of carrying action...mostly behind the seat of some pickup truck probably. Someone had taken it upon themselves to attempt to refininsh the stock, then proceeded to take the rest of the rifle to pieces, never getting around to ever finish repairing what they started out to do in the first place.

Long story short, I rebuilt the gun. Not some money intensive rebuild mind you, just a simple rebuild to get the gun working again. The rust frozen recoil spring & rod were replaced as well as a half dozen other parts and a Spring kit, and Viola! A neat little M1 Carbine. I decided against going all out and doing a restoration on this gun, instead, I made a shooter out of her. I threw away the stock and replaced it with a synthetic unit from Butler Creek (Sporter type, NOT pistol grip) and off she went. This gun is a favorite. She has paid for herself 10X over as a hog hunting gun and is one of the sweetest plinkers I have ever had the privilage to shoot. I put some time into fixing this gun up, not alot but enough and created one of my all time favorite guns out of a box of rusty parts. There's a certain high with that: to take something no one else wants and make something that actually impresses the ones it comes in contact with. There are a lot of M1 Carbines out there, but I know for a fact that I wouldn't take any of them over this gun regardless of the cost or condition.

That's what I want with this AK build. "Building" an AR15 is simply assembling parts. I don't want to do that again. I want to build a rifle that I can use and be rpoud of the fact that I had something to do with about how it works. That's why I want to start my 1st build with a Flat. If I simply wanted a shooter I'd buy a complete Krinkov Carbine and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Well sounds good. my experience with flats hasn't been the best compared to my experience with a predone rec. But I do completely understand you wanting to try it.
With your flat you want to get one with dimples you can get them for $14 to $20 ppl say the ones without the trunion holes drilled yet are better. You’ll have to line them up and drill them yourself. You might want to contact AKBUILDER.Com (might need to do a search to find him) I believe he has a flat set up for an U/f. Might be wrong but I don’t think so. You also need to get 1 or 2 center supports (don’t know if you have yet).
Using a metal break you might have trouble getting things to line up perfect like Axis holes, safety selector, and center support sooo having things aligned perfect is vital. I’m also not sure if the metal break can get you all the bends you need
Hope this rambling helps in some way
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again exile! You have been one of the ones that's helped me the most. Harlan has been great also, hell everyone has been great.

Like I said, I KNOW you are right about the flat issue, and everyone who has recommended that I chuck the idea and get a premade reciever is speaking from experience and are absolutely right...

But I gotta try. LOL!

By now you're thinking "How many ways can we tell this fool that using a flat is a bad idea?" Heeheehee.  I'm pretty sure I can manage the bends on the flat, at least to the point where I can complete the bend using other tools. Part of being an Autobody tech involves sheet metal fabrication. Sometimes sections of the car being repaired would need a piece replace that was either too damaged or rusted out to repair, so we'd fabricate them. Not entire fenders of course, but patches, some getting pretty darn intricate at times. I had a job at a sheet metal fabrication shop during college where we would make rain gutters, aircondition ducts etc. so I do have a some sheet metal experience. I will cross measure the flat carefully before bending to determine if the piece is truly "square". This should eliminate or at least drop the probability that the holes will mis-align.

Thanks for the flat refferal. Maybe I'll pick up a few flats from different people so I can do a comparison...and get past any screw ups I do when trying this out the first time. $15-$20 will add up quickly I know, but at least I will get to see the difference between some of the different types out there. Perhaps this info will prove useful to someone else down the road on what top get and what to avoid in my opinion.

I've already purchased my rivet kits and center supports and am waiting on them to arrive with the rest of the parts for this project. This is exciting! I am really looking forward to getting started.  I say this knowing I will be swearing up a storm as cursing this damn thing out once I get into it. LOL! Thanks again fellas, you guys have been a big help.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Why not consider getting a receiver flat from Curtis at www.ak-builder.com that is cut for a Krinkov-type side folding stock. You can get a side folding stock set at K-VAR.
Then you can sell the underfolder stock kit and rear block to allay costs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#13]
your cusing will be at a whole new level by the time you get this done. You'll be putting words together that must people wouldn't think possible
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh man, that's funny! Exile, if you only knew how much I swear offline you'd see how funny that "wouldn't think possible" actually is.

I'm all about possibilies!!!!

Harlan.

Thank you very much for the info on heat treating. It made for some interesting reading. Now I'm really excited! I get to play with FIRE!.....FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!!!!!! OK I'm calm now... Anyway, the heat treating part sounds fun. Kinda doen't make too much sense to go through all that for just one reciever though....I may just get a few more flats to make sure I get things right.

Seems like I'm always coming up with reasons keep doing things the hard way...I realize this. One of the deal makers Ohio the Rapid Fire Krink kit has for me IS the underfolder stock. I've seen the sidefolder with those triangle sheet metal stocks and don't like the look at all. For a while that the only way I thought Krinkovs came (remember, I'm new). I have always liked the way a Paratrooper AK47 looked so when I saw this Krink with an underfolder, I just had to have it!!!! Yes I admit, it a 100% FASHION thing and in normal situations I detest the idea of style before fuction...but in this case the reason why I'm getting the kit is BECAUSE of it's looks. I don't NEED another gun, least of all a Carbine. Since I already stock 7.62mm rounds it isn't a problem adding this Krink on, but had it been a 5.45mm I may have thought twice about getting it.
I like the underfolding stocks looks. I'm pretty sure it offers squat when it comes to a cheekweld, and that the side folder is a far more functional piece. But again, it's the style before function thing.

Yes, fella's, I'm building me a toy/safe queen. I deserve a flaming for that. But I know I'm not the only one that thinks a Krinkov is super cool looking!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top