Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 8:34:49 PM EDT
Has anyone countersunk the front trunnion holes where the holes were previously not countersunk? I am thinking of doing this on a rommy kit I am about to build. Seems like it would beef it up a bit. If anyone has done this or has any thoughts on it, please share.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My plinker's jig does it very nicely.

However, I'm not sure it's really necessary to put swell neck rivets in at all.  Sometimes on the rear thru-rivets its a PITA to countersink the front rivet so I file off the swell part of the rivet (I have a file without serrations on one end).

I don't think swell vs non-swell is a critical issue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I added a countersink on one of mine, but it wasn't on purpose.  I drilled a little deep and too wide while dilling out a stubborn rivet and created a countersink in the trunion.  I went ahead and used a swell neck rivet to fill the extra space and all worked fine.  I'm not sure if it strengthened anything, but definately didn't hurt.

Lee
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remembered something I read awhile ago.

There was one guy that used his bolt-cutter rivet tool with a 1/4" ball bearing in the outside jaw to make the dimple.

Of course, this only works if you have a bolt cutter riveter
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I am talking about actually cutting the trunnion holes with a countersinking bit, not about making the dimple in the receiver for the countersink but that would be involved. The counter sink keeps the rivets from being sheared off by the receiver.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top